FireWall?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default FireWall??

can somebody tell me what is firewall

should i download one?? which ones are best?

Old 01-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

In computing, a firewall is a piece of hardware and/or software which functions in a networked environment to prevent some communications forbidden by the security policy, analogous to the function of firewalls in building construction. A firewall is also called a Border Protection Device (BPD), especially in NATO contexts, or packet filter in BSD contexts.

A firewall has the basic task of controlling traffic between different zones of trust. Typical zones of trust include the Internet (a zone with no trust) and an internal network (a zone with high trust). The ultimate goal is to provide controlled connectivity between zones of differing trust levels through the enforcement of a security policy and connectivity model based on the least privilege principle.

Proper configuration of firewalls demands skill from the administrator. It requires considerable understanding of network protocols, and of computer security. Small mistakes can render a firewall worthless as a security tool.

Hardware firewalls -- Cisco, Linksys
Software Firewalls -- Zone Alarm Pro 6, Sygate

Old 01-08-2006, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

do i need one if i just surf the net
Old 01-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

its up to you. I use my linksys firewall; thats it.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Router -- Hardware firewalls -- Cisco, Linksys
Your Ethernet Port may also have built in Hardware firewalls
I use the Nvidia Firewall which came with my parts when I built it and it's suprisingly good but I do recommend Sygate for a free downloadable firewall.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 01-08-2006, 11:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I would use a software and hardware firewall. most people can't figure out how to properly configure a hardware one
Old 01-09-2006, 06:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Dont get confused about the responses your getting. YES you need a firewall if you are going to use your computer over the internet. If you are running windows XP you can upgrade to service pack 2 and go to START/CONTROL PANEL/SERCURITY CENTER to make sure it is turned on.

If you dont have windows XP go to Sygate.com and get your firewall from them, It is free and does just as good as any firewall out there or even better.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by pandahater
Dont get confused about the responses your getting. YES you need a firewall if you are going to use your computer over the internet. If you are running windows XP you can upgrade to service pack 2 and go to START/CONTROL PANEL/SERCURITY CENTER to make sure it is turned on.

If you dont have windows XP go to Sygate.com and get your firewall from them, It is free and does just as good as any firewall out there or even better.
xp firewall is ok. but it doesn't block out bound connections, only inbound

Closed Thread