Fingerprint Login Only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePlague1988

Solid State Member
How do I only use a fingerprint sensor for logging into Windows 7 Ultimate? My Laptop is a
HP Compaq 6910p Notebook PC. I have all the software and drivers installed. It works perfectly and I can
login with a fingerprint or my password. But I would like to only have the fingerprint for gaining access.
Thanks in advance.

-Phil

It's always good to have a backup way of logging in.. In case the fingerprint sensor breaks or something.

To actually reply to the post... I don't think there's a way to disable psasword login because it's built in to Windows.

Some guy named andre922007 on youtube.com did it, just search on youtube for hp compaq 6910p fingerprint reader...
or something like that and it should be one of the first vids. Somehow he got it to work that way and I would love to know how.

Mine has two Icons... the swipe your finger icon and my username. How do I only get one like he has?

How to Enable a Fingerprint Only Logon | eHow.com
Enable Logon Using Biometric Fingerprint Reader in Windows 7 x86 & x64 | Capitalhead.com

If those dont get rid of the 2nd screen, then it cant be done. That option must have been removed by Microsoft with Windows 7 SP1. I have not found a single way unless you delete that user account, which will cause you more problems. It isnt that bad having the 2. In fact if your PC crashes and you lose the driver support, having that other option will only benefit you. If not you will be right back here asking how to logon to your PC when your FP Sensor doesnt work.

Thanks for the good reply K... Trying it now...

EDIT: Didn't wanna double-post so here goes my problem.

Okay I tried to uninstall and re-install the fingerprint sensor drivers (AuthenTec.) But, the Biometric Devices control panel item isn't listed at all. Yes, I have shown all control panel items. Still came up with nothing need some help to get that to show up or I can't follow that tutorial you gave me. Please help, thanks for all previous and future help you guys/gals give to me. Much appreciated.

Please help, thanks for all previous and future help you guys/gals give to me. Much appreciated.

Finally! I just created an account at this site solely for the purpose of unravelling this great mystery! :tongue:
After a couple hours of messing about with it and dozens of forums later (apparently there are quite a few people out there interested in doing this REGARDLESS of whether it is a good or bad idea) I was finally able to figure it out.

Step 1: Open the start menu and type in "Regedit" at the search bar. Yes, we will be messing with Windows' Registry Editor today. :devil:

Step 2: Navigate to the following path within the registry editor: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Credential Providers

Step 3: At this point, you should be looking at a list of keys with random characters that contain the different logon options that Windows offers. The key names may differ on different systems, but you should be able to tell which does what by looking at their respective string values. i.e. WinBio Credential Provider is for a biometric device logon, Smartcard Credential Provider is for a smartcard logon, etc.
The key you want, pressuming you are trying to get rid of the windows default password logon, should say PasswordProvider, and it should look something like this:

2ujqr8m.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: At this point you may want to back up what we are about to do, since it may be the only way to recover the option of using a password logon later on. In a notepad sheet or any other text processor copy exactly the values of the keys and their respective strings and save them to your disc. Like so:

2znwec7.jpg

You may aso want to create a password reset disc/usb flash drive, in case you are ever locked out from windows due to hardware/driver malfunction. This would be a physical tool that you can hide somewhere safe or lock away in a safe in case you ever need it. The option is available via the control panel, under user account settings, on the left pane:

6iabyp.png

Step 4: And here we go! Are you ready for this? DELETE the key containing the PasswordProvider string. You can undo this at any time by adding a new key manually with the key information you previously saved.
And voilà! Press the windows key + L to lock your screen, and enjoy your fingerprint-ONLY logon welcome screen.

NOTE:
A couple things to consider; your windows password is never actually deleted, and remains linked to your account, you are merely deleting the option of using it at the welcome screen. If you replace the deleted keys through the aforementioned method, your old password will still be valid. Make sure your fingerprint logon option is available before you try this, or you may be locked out of windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom