Filesharing Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whisper9999

Solid State Member
I don't understand how you can get viruses with file sharing on Kazaa. If all you do is download mp3's and you never execute them except in media player, how could you get hurt? What am I missing here?

ive never heard of viruses embedded in mp3s except for proof of concept, same with pic files.

most come with exe's in the same fashion as spyware gets installed behind your back.

csamuels said:
ive never heard of viruses embedded in mp3s except for proof of concept, same with pic files.

most come with exe's in the same fashion as spyware gets installed behind your back.

It's just that I've read it a dozen + times - that Kazaa is filled with viruses...

LobosBlanco said:
I found this over at DSL reports

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/823

Int'g post. It still strikes me as hard to believe though. Of course, an mp3 isn't compiled c code - it's just a bunch of compressed bits that represent sound. I'm sure it has a little header information as well. So how could an mp3 player expect a compressed sound file and get tricked by a bunch of compiled c code with a virus?

Still scratchin' my head....

i have seen misnamed tracks on almost every p2p network. Not to hard to get some people if the name is right and the extension looks like .mp3.exe ., or .mp3.vbs. (typically with a really long filename)

But you are right, its more about paying attention than anything else. be aware of what u try to open on your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom