File transfer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I want to transfer my files, pictures etc. from one computer to another. I have never done anything like this before. What would be the best way to do this?

You could:

• burn them to disc and transfer them
  • network both PC's together and transfer them
  • install the hard drive from the old PC along with the hard drive in the new PC and transfer them

Depending on how much data were talking about here your choice will vary.

Why don't you just tell us how much you are transferring?

If its < 700MB, burn it to CD.
If its < 4GB, burn it to DVD (if you have one).
If its > 4GB, you can either
a) Network the PCs
-- Long initial setup if you are unfamiliar with networking
-- Pretty fast transfer if you are using 100Mbit/Gigabit hardware.
b) Install the hard drive in the new PC
-- Quickest setup, but you may not want to open up the PC
-- Fastest transfer rates

Just in my documents, pics, and music there is over 6gb. Is there anything else people usually transfer? I don't want to forget anything. Most of the other stuff I just have to reinstall don't I? I have a dlink 624. Whis is 100mb. When you say the hd is quickest setup but you may not want to open up the pc what do you mean by that? Thanks.

The quickest way is to take the current master and set it as slave, install it and transfer the files. The only potential hang up would be folders that are on the desktop will have to be transfered to the root of the hard drive or you won't be able to find them once you set the drive as a slave. Once you're done just reset it as the master and reinstall the drive and you are good to go.

RicoDirenzo said:
The only potential hang up would be folders that are on the desktop will have to be transfered to the root of the hard drive or you won't be able to find them once you set the drive as a slave. Once you're done just reset it as the master and reinstall the drive and you are good to go.

I don't have any folders on my desktop. I have them all in the quick launch section down below. Will that be the same?

You're ready to go! Just do what I suggested above and you'll have it all done in an hour or less!

go buy you a crossover cable and plug it in your network slots of both computers. make sure they have the same workgroup name(in system properties). then do a copy and paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom