File Systems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 05:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default File Systems

For anyone that works in an orginisation, they will know the clutter that department drives can accuelate and its difficult to keep all files and fodlers in check and know what goes where, esspcilly when the file comes under sevral catagories. Instead of setting up strict file placement rules which could easily dissintergrate with time due to the way humans work, I was thinking of a more, maybe, redicle approach on the way the file system works.

We know how Win files systesm work, file in folder and so forth, but I was thinking, maybe if you could do that, but Tag files with keywords of all the sections it comes under, you could then utilise searching to a greater extent search for these kind of meta tags. I know windows stores things like username of creator and so forth, but from what I have heard it is not powerful enough to utilise a 'searching on keyword' system.

I am not looking to wait for vista, or change to *nix/*linux system, I was more looking for something I didnt know, or an application, or maybe an idea which could be simply coded to use shared drives to a better extent, with less clutter and easier file finding for everyone in the department.

Thanks
Chris

Old 05-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Chris, the easiest way is to use a "Desktop Search" tool like Google Desktop Search or X10...They can usually search a huge HD for a file in less than 2 seconds

Old 05-05-2006, 05:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah I was thinking along something those lines, I have MS Desktop search at home, I was just wondering if there where better ways. I win WinFS works a much better way, I will look into the desktop seach idea, see if it would work in this enviroment befor proposing
Old 05-05-2006, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

umm...I've used MSN's and for me, it wasn't very good, but i've used X10 and it's extremely good...
Old 05-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have had good experiance with MSN and when I was looking for one, it came out top on the reviews that I looked at, but I will certainly look at X10
Old 05-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah I am very intrested in that, looks very good and cant wait till it comes out, I think SP2 of Vista last time I heard

Closed Thread