File Share forces login

Status
Not open for further replies.

xr280xr

Baseband Member
Hi,
Can anyone tell me why when I try to access a file on my XP Pro computer from my XP home computer, it pops up a login prompt the first time? The files are shared to the 'Everyone' group and I can login with the Guest account w/ no password (Even though the guest account is disabled). It just started doing it all of the sudden but I don't know why. Thanks.

Jesse

I tried that but it still doesn't authenticate it. I have to do it manually the first time I access the mapped drive.

it is because the account that is logged into the computer does not have permission to access it. you must be mapping the drive with an account that has access to the drive. you must add the computer to have permission

It's not just a problem with mapped drives. If I restart my computer, then go to my workgroup and click on the sharing computer, I have to enter a username and password just to view it's shared files.

The real problem is my windows media player library has references to files over the network. When I want to play these files I have to first go authenticate myself on the other computer as "Guest", by opening a folder on it, before I can access the mp3s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom