file server setup why so ridiculous still?

if you know what you re doing.
I don't understand why there is so many steps still to create one

Can always install FileZilla Server and configure it; it can be kind of a PITA to get working sometimes, tho.

That isn't that many steps though, like even for a novice it shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes of reading that and following along. Tbh I didn't even know you could host an FTP directly from W10 and what little I read seemed to be pretty streamlined.

is this really the easiest way to set up a file server?
honestly its 2018 not 1997 I thought it would be something simple by now...
How to set up an FTP server in Windows 10
FTP functions on a client-server model. The server hosts the files to be shared and the client provides the interface to access, download, or upload files to the file server. The computers transferring the files can be within the same network where the FTP server is configured, as well as outside the network (over the internet). FTP uses two ports, one for connection and one for sending data.

FTP can run in two modes: active and passive. And, it uses two channels between the client and server: the command channel and the data channel. The command channel is for sending the commands and responses, and the data channel is for sending the actual data.

Steps to setup an FTP server on Windows:

Navigate to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager. Once the IIS console is open, expand the local server. Right-click on Sites , and click on Add FTP Site . In the Binding and SSL Settings window, type the IP address of the server.

Back
Top Bottom