File names disorganizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeller

In Runtime
Whenever I save/download a file from Firefox, or do anything to open the regular "Open File" or "Save file" box in windows, all my folders and files aren't organized by name. I have to right click>arrange files by>Name every time if I want to find something, and it's getting really annoying. I couldn't find anything in the preferences.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

When you right click there should be a option to Auto Arrange. Click that then sort by name. They will then stay sorted by name. If you leave the window open at all times while you download then they wont be sorted. You have to leave the window for it to stay sorted.

Hi, I just realized this only works when I open the folder (ex. My documents) manually/the entire folder. When I open the "Save File" box, the option is grayed out.
8aaef25129de1475c1ff037994dfbdfd.jpg

To make some more use of this bump, I have another Windows question; how do I make the background color of my icons' text clear?

Obviously in the previous example I could change the icon background color to the background color, but it doesn't work with a complex background.

Thanks.

The first question the answer is this. When you download it will just go to that location. If that location is closed then you download it will be organized the way you want. If you have it open it will not be that way. There is no option to save it by name when downloading. Since it is not a complete file as it downloads it can not sort it by name until the full file finishes. Hence why it will sort after it downlaods and then you go into the location. Till then it is just a temp file.

As for the icons they should only have the background when you cick on them. This is normal so that you know you are clicking on them. If they did not highlight you would never know that they were active. ;)But to check for this go to your desktop settings. Right click Desktop>Properties>Desktop. Now click advance. Check the settings you have for Icon. That is your settings for the icons on your desktop.

For the first problem, I meant I want to see the folders in the correct order. If I have My Documents open, and in it, it has the folder "John's pics" in it, and I have 40 other folders not in alphabetical order, it's virtually impossible to find "John's pics" without looking folder after folder for that one. Obviously, I can right click>organize by name, but doing that every time I download something (frequently, replays) is pretty irritating.

For the second thing:

I can't change the background color of the icon, and I can't make my desktop color "transparent". My friend has this issue too, and, despite my plethora of questions, we are both quite capable in computer use :p.

Thanks.

For the icon problem:
Right click on My Computer>Properties
Go to Advanced>Performance. Then under Visual Effects: check the box for "Use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop".

Can't believe Mak didn't get that one. He's the windows genius.

It is cause all my stuff is checked off like that. :p Not used to hearing that question. Since i have always had that effect going on. Thanks for that info. A new thing learned today. Also i an not a Windows Genuis. Just a Windows Geek!! :p

Again the first one will not be solved. You will have to do it by organize. Best option there. Choose a single download spot. From there move the files to where you want them. That way you wont have to constantly choose you new download location.

As i said they dont offer the Auto Arrange cause it is not a full file you are playing with at that time. It is only a temp file till the full one downloads. So Windows does not recognize it as a file and wont allow you to autp arrage cause it isnt a file. Just a temp file. Which will become the file.

I just choose 1 single downlod location and move files from there. Saves time and energy making sure i am saving the right file type to the right place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom