File Caching - Similar to NFS or DFS

mwt03160

Beta member
I'm looking to implement a solution and was looking to get some opinions. I have about 25-50 users at a remote location that are accessing files on a server over the WAN. I have another server that I would like to install at the remote location to act as a caching server to improve performance/traffic over the WAN, and allow users to access their files quicker. The files would need to sync between the file server and the caching server so the most current version is always in use. I've looked at BranchCache, but I don't want the client to download the file and then cache it to the server - I want the client to access the file via the cache server. Servers are running Win Svr std. 2008R2, Clients are running Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

Any thoughts?

Confused, why can't you use Branchcache in hosted cache mode. In this mode files are cached on a local file server and local clients retrieve the files from that local file server. More details here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Hh831696.aspx#BKMK_2 but it does what you are asking - retrieves the files from the local file server.

The only hurdle i see with branchcache is the ipv6 requirement.

Another option is to use WAN optimization with another product (Branchcache does this). We use Riverbed products for WAN optimization - expensive but does a great job.

Another option would be do use a cheap document management system (SharePoint could do this). While this would do nothing to help with WAN speeds as the file repository would still need to be in one location - it would ensure only one version of the document is in use at one time.

Confused, why can't you use Branchcache in hosted cache mode. In this mode files are cached on a local file server and local clients retrieve the files from that local file server. More details here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Hh831696.aspx#BKMK_2 but it does what you are asking - retrieves the files from the local file server.

The only hurdle i see with branchcache is the ipv6 requirement.

Another option is to use WAN optimization with another product (Branchcache does this). We use Riverbed products for WAN optimization - expensive but does a great job.

Another option would be do use a cheap document management system (SharePoint could do this). While this would do nothing to help with WAN speeds as the file repository would still need to be in one location - it would ensure only one version of the document is in use at one time.

WAN optimization costs tens of thousands... I agree branhache in hosted will work, however the client will still need to dl it first, then it stores on the branch server, I think he wants to avoid that completely..

You don't have to seed the information with branchcache - it can just cache files as they are accessed. Alternatively (i believe only a function of 2012 R2 which he isn't running) you can 'seed' the hosted file server which would reduce the initial time it would take to cache all of that information.

WAN optimization can cost tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands depending on the deployment - i did not see a requirement in his post saying price was a constraint. I'm simply providing him options.

Back
Top Bottom