Hard disk formatted with FAT or FAT32 file system
If the hard disk is formatted with the FAT file system or with the FAT32 file system, follow these steps:
1. Use a Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk with CD-ROM drivers to restart the computer.
2. Copy the Xcopy.exe tool from the Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM, the Windows Millennium Edition (Me) CD-ROM, or the hard disk to the Windows Startup disk. To do this, use the appropriate method.
Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM
Insert the Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then at the command prompt type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line, where cd-rom is the drive letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive:
Eject the Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition (Me) CD-ROM, and then insert the Windows XP Professional CD-ROM.
4. Copy the I386 folder and all its subfolders to the hard disk. To do this, type the following lines at the command prompt where cd-rom is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive, and drive is the drive letter of the hard disk, and then press ENTER after you type each line:
xcopy cd-rom:\i386 drive:\i386 /e
5. Restart the computer, and then start the Setup program again.
6. When you receive the error message, click Browse, and then type the path of the I386 folder on the hard disk.
Note You may be prompted several times for the location of this folder. If Browse is not available, see the "Hard disk formatted with NTFS file system" section.