A few questions about xp/vista - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default A few questions about xp/vista

I'm building a custom computer and i don't really want to purchase an OS.

I have purchased several computers over the years and each came with a copy of windows home and windows xp.

Question #1: I have two windows home cd's. One from a cicero computer and one from my dell Laptop. Can i use those copies of Windows home on my new computer?

Question #2: what's the difference between vista basic and premium ?

Question #3: What's the difference between the 32bit and 64bit versions?

Question #4: What's the difference between the retail version and the oem version. The oem version seems to be cheaper.

Question #5: I found a cd in my basement labelled windows xp pro SP2. Do i need a product key to complete the installation?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: A few questions about xp/vista

#1 No since they were OEM copies and already used technically you cant use them.

#2. Windows Vista: Home Page

The Vista website. It has all the info you need to knwo about each version.

#3. 32 Bit vs 64 Bit - Google Search

Google search on the difference between 32 Bit and 64Bit. If you dont have 64 bit you cant run it. So find that out first.

#4. Retail is the copy you buy in store. OEM is the kind sold to Dell and HP to be used on their PC's. Retail has 3 activations for Vista while OEM has 1 activation for VIsta.

#5. If it is OEM no. But if it is OEM then the answer to #1 already applies.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: A few questions about xp/vista

Just to clarify #1. The CD isn't what matters. You could have a hundred CD's and it wouldn't amount to a hill of beans if you don't have unused licenses. It's the Certificate of Authorization that matters, the license number. If you have a CD but no unused license sticker to put on the computer, you can't install the CD. Or, on the other hand, you could have one CD and a hundred license COA's and you could use that one CD to install it on all 100 computers.
Closed Thread