few questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to werdna35
Default few questions

I have a few general questions on how to do some things.

Is there a way to like optimize my computer to my internet so that it runs really fast? My friend's dad has it done to his computer and he runs REALLY fast (a lot faster than I do, and we have the same kind of connection). I want to do that with my school connection. Is it possible?

How do you change the start up sound?

And for fun, me and my room mates have a joke going that when one of us leaves, we change the person's background and home page. For an added joke, I would like to be able to change the background and like lock it so they need a password to change it back to kind of freak them out. Is that possible?

Edit: Also, how do I get XP to use those quick link things that go on your menu on the bottom that windows 98 had?

Old 10-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

To get quicklaunch, if this is what you want, right lick the taskbar, next to the start button, go to Toolbars, and choose quicklaunch. I don't think you can lock a background. Get FireFox, that will make your webpages load faster, and follow the site to optimize FireFox.

If you still want to continue using IE, follow these. (CAREFUL!!! Registry editing can be harmful if you don't know what you are doin!!!)

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings

Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server
Setting for Value Data: [0000000a]
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: MaxConnectionsPerServer
Setting for Value Data: [0000000a]
Exit Registry and Reboot
Closed Thread