A few misc questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime
First off, I have 2 items in my Add and Remove Programs thing called DAO. What are they, what do they do, and can/should I get rid of them?

Secondly, svchost.exe.........???

Is it good or is it bad? See URL=http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/svchost/index.php]here[/URL] to see what I mean. First it says that "This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated" but then it says that "svchost.exe is a process which is registered as the W32.Welchia.Worm"

I have 6 different svchost.exe entries in my processes tab in Windows Task Manager (alt+ctrl+del to open it). Three have SYSTEM as the user name, two have NETWORK SERVICE, and one has LOCAL SERVICE.
Is this anything I should be worries about or should I just ignore it.

Thanks for the input.

Svchost.exe is a host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). It is normal to see multiple instances of it running, so just ignore it.

Microsoft's Data Access Objects (DAO) - DAO is included with Microsoft Access and other software that can open Access databases.

They are fine but you should really make yourself familiar with your PC, you should know exactly what you have installed so that you will recognise anything out of place.

As for 'svchost.exe' not to worry as long as you up-date Windows to fix vulnerabilities, the thing is that Worms and Viruses name themselves similarly to Windows regular files so that they blend in. They us uppercase and lowercase as alternatives.

Isnt it svchost.exe is the safe program and SVCHOST.exe is the worm? I know that there are also viruses out there that are very simular to svchost.exe in spelling but 2 letters are transposed. it might look like scvhost.exe At first look it seems like a normal process but when you take a closer look and see it misspelled then you reaize you have a virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom