In a few hours, my computer has gone from working fine to critical condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Nitro

Baseband Member
It all started when i was playing a game. It started loading a level and froze. Command prompt, tab-shift-alt, and all the normal remedies failed to unfreeze it, so I was forced to force shut-off my computer.

After it rebooted, i was asked to do a checkdisk scan. I accepted, and it made some repairs. Everything seemed fine after this, so I restarted the game. It was running fine for about 20 minutes, but the framerate suddenly dropped to a crawl and wouldn't improve.

I restarted my computer again, and I was asked to do a checkdisk scan again. I waited as it made more repairs. When the computer finished booting up, the cpu was straining itself (my taskmanager clocked it at a constant 100%) and everything significantly slowed down, including games.

Every time i restart it now, I get a checkdisk popup, everything goes slower, and all of these programs suddenly stop working:
deathofcomp.png

Also, anytime that I right click on a folder or icon, Windows Explorer crashes!

However, the framerates for games seem back to normal, and the cpu appears to be running at normal speed again.

To try and find the problem, I rebooted the computer in safe mode. Everything that works normally in safe mode seemed to be working as usual (except that i was never asked for elevation for tasks that normally required it - I don't know if thats normal for safe mode, but thats what happened), so I ran some virus scans with Avast, Avira, and Ad-Aware. They all reported and removed a few infections, but that didn't seem to change anything, since all the same problems still exist.

So, here I am. Does anyone here know what could be causing all of this? Is there a possible fix for it? One tat doesn't envolve restoring a backup? I do have a backup, but its incomplete (only about 4/5 done, i had to stop it early), and I don't have another copy of windows, since this is a refurbished computer.

Any help would be incomprehensibly appreciated.

Jack

It sounds like your HDD is either dying or corrupt data is being written to it.

I would run memtest to test the memory 1st.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If that passes then I would go to the HDD manufacturer site and see if they have a diagnostic program you can download and run.

Finally, you should go to Spyware Asylum and follow the direction for your operating system carefully.

Well, good news and bad news. I ran another checkdisk session, and all the unusual errors seem to have been fixed (random crashes, no right-clicking, etc.). However, everything seems to be running as slow as before, perhaps even slower. What used to be a 30-second period between logging in to everything running now seems more like 5-7 minutes.

I'm going to go ahead and run the diagnostics like you suggested and see if the problem really is rooted in the hard drive. If it is, I might need some more advice on where to go from there.

If it is the hard drive, the only advice you will get is to replace it. As it is on its way out.

well, I ran the memory test twice, and that didn't turn up any errors. any other possibilities?

Also, my computer seems to have gotten faster again. I'd still like to know what caused all this chaos.

I would suggest that you run save mode and then install and run AVG to make sure there isn't something weird going on. Also scanning and repairing you registry would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom