Favorite Threads...and...why VBulletin over phpBB? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Question Favorite Threads...and...why VBulletin over phpBB?

I just gotta ask, what makes vBulletin worth paying for over the free phpBB? So many sites use vBulletin, so I must be missing something.

And...a suggestion...if possible, to add the option of email notification to the "subscribe to thread"--instead of always on, option per thread to have it on or off...would be nice! :bald:

Old 11-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

I moved this to the proper forum for discussion. You may also want to do a search on this subject at Webmaster-Talk since it has been heavily discussed there.

IMO, phpBB is a close second to vBulletin. Depending upon the use of the forum may help answer your question. If you're offering a service or product, it is not always good to use free software (just a mindset I guess). So vBulletin gives the appearance of professionalism. There are a few options that separate the two, but you'd need to look at their lists to see those differences (some of which doesn't matter to some forum owners).

Others will have more opinions.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I like IPB not IF the free varient. My first successfull board about Chinese History used that software I find it makes the administer's job easy. I've also used phpBB to administer. Though I can't say I've used vBullitin.
<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 11-07-2005, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Content Team

I think that it is because vBuliten has more features. VB is meant for websites that are forums. Phpbb, Ipb, Pnphp, yabb, etc. . . are mostly for websites that are not just a forum. But a whole website. Personally I like VB.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I looked on Webmaster-Talk...didn't find much beyond a lot of junk threads about it!

What can vB (or any other) do that phpBB cannot? It seems phpBB could do everything, either built-in, or with a "hack"...relativly easy!

As far as paying for something meaning more professional? Err, people who'd judge like that... well, that's too bad for them...!
Closed Thread