Faster way to remove permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, scratch that.

i found this "Windows Server 2003 Resource Toolkit" which seemed to include takeown but then i found that it was included in the 2000 version, not 2003.

then, in an effort to stop making things more complicated than they had to be, i used google to quickly find takeown.exe by itself.

now everything seems to be trying to work but i'm getting new errors saying that i need to log on as an administrator, which i am, so i'm going to try a few things and see where that lands me.

okay, scratch that.

i found this "Windows Server 2003 Resource Toolkit" which seemed to include takeown but then i found that it was included in the 2000 version, not 2003.

then, in an effort to stop making things more complicated than they had to be, i used google to quickly find takeown.exe by itself.

now everything seems to be trying to work but i'm getting new errors saying that i need to log on as an administrator, which i am, so i'm going to try a few things and see where that lands me.
the command prompt exe needs administrator privelages.
If you're using Vista or 7, you can disable UAC. That will make command prompt run as administrator by default.

Or you can make a batch file, put the commands in that, and set the batch file to run as administrator (right click, properties)

the command prompt exe needs administrator privelages.
If you're using Vista or 7, you can disable UAC. That will make command prompt run as administrator by default.

Or you can make a batch file, put the commands in that, and set the batch file to run as administrator (right click, properties)

from what i understand, takeown only runs on xp and later OSs. i'd actually prefer to do it on windows 7 ultimate though if possible, then i could probably use windows virtual pc to simultaneously run this whole process on a few VMs at a time. but for now, i just want to get it working.

so, on this xp test machine, is there a way to add the administrative privileges to the key i created earlier or would i have to move to batch files?

My Windows 7 professional install has a takeown.exe in C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\sysWOW64
I'm not sure why yours wouldn't, unless it's a different version (Home Premium?)

My Windows 7 professional install has a takeown.exe in C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\sysWOW64
I'm not sure why yours wouldn't, unless it's a different version (Home Premium?)

i have 7 ultimate but i thought xcacls would only work on xp and later? wouldn't i need xcacls and takeown?

it's icacls
And no, my Windows 7 Pro install has icacls.exe as well as takeown.exe by default.

so assuming icacls is the newer equivalent of xcacls, i could essentially use the key you gave me before to do the same thing with windows 7, just by changing xcacls with icacls?

so assuming icacls is the newer equivalent of xcacls, i could essentially use the key you gave me before to do the same thing with windows 7, just by changing xcacls with icacls?
the command I wrote already uses icacls

If you don't have them in your Windows installation, I've uploaded them here

On a 64-bit windows OS, SysWOW64 = 32-bit files, System32= 64-bit files

the command I wrote already uses icacls

If you don't have them in your Windows installation, I've uploaded them here

On a 64-bit windows OS, SysWOW64 = 32-bit files, System32= 64-bit files

oh, wow, i don't know why i thought the command said xcacls but i see that now. i should have been doing this on my laptop all along. i do have icacls and takeown though. why would they have 64bit files in system32 but then 32bit files in syswow64?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom