Fan speeding up with no reason in windows 10

MadmanRB

In Runtime
Okay having a very annoying issue with win10 as of late and its been baffling the heck out of me, my CPU fan without any good reason speeds up every so often in windows 10.
It doesn't do it in Linux, I have tried an array of software removals, virus scans, system shutdowns, cleaning dust out my system but for some confounded reason it only does it in windows 10 with little to no reason.
I can eliminate its my CPU, sure its a stock intel cooler but if it was a fault with my cooler dont you think it would effect linux as well?
I can eliminate my antivirus, I had panda free antivirus and removed it... installed another AV (avira) but still the issue comes with no explanation.
I have checked for steam running in the background, checked off any apps that might cause this in my system tray, turned off cortana, everything under the sun but still cannot figure this one out.
Perhaps windows 10 hates me...

What are you temps? Have you had Task Manager / Resource Monitor opened and watched what the values/graphs show when the fan spins up randomly?

It's most likely something related to Win10 running in the background which is taking advantage of your hardware in some way. Track it down with the Resource Monitor.

What are you temps? Have you had Task Manager / Resource Monitor opened and watched what the values/graphs show when the fan spins up randomly?

It's most likely something related to Win10 running in the background which is taking advantage of your hardware in some way. Track it down with the Resource Monitor.

Yeah the temps are fine so its probably a background app

Windows does routine house keeping chores and logs the events. Some of that will drive the CPU core temps up a tad. If the bios temp monitoring is set as aggressive like mine is, the fan revs up a little to cool the CPU off while it's busy. As soon as the event is over it winds right back down.

The little stock cooler fan is noisy to start with so you notice it more. Check your bios CPU fan setup. If it's aggressive set it to normal at about 25% duty cycle. That will take a higher temperature shift up before the fan revs up. It's not harmful to let the temps rise a bit as the Intel CPU's have built in thermal protection. The 25% duty cycle will let the fan spin down to a slow RPM with out stalling.

My laptop does that some times. I peek in to see what's going on and it's just routine house keeping. On my desk rig it did that so much that I resorted to installing a CM 212 evo cooler with a 120mm fan. Bigger fan means slower RPM's and a lot less noise.
If you go that route make sure you have enough clearance in the case for it.

Windows does routine house keeping chores and logs the events. Some of that will drive the CPU core temps up a tad. If the bios temp monitoring is set as aggressive like mine is, the fan revs up a little to cool the CPU off while it's busy. As soon as the event is over it winds right back down.

The little stock cooler fan is noisy to start with so you notice it more. Check your bios CPU fan setup. If it's aggressive set it to normal at about 25% duty cycle. That will take a higher temperature shift up before the fan revs up. It's not harmful to let the temps rise a bit as the Intel CPU's have built in thermal protection. The 25% duty cycle will let the fan spin down to a slow RPM with out stalling.

My laptop does that some times. I peek in to see what's going on and it's just routine house keeping. On my desk rig it did that so much that I resorted to installing a CM 212 evo cooler with a 120mm fan. Bigger fan means slower RPM's and a lot less noise.
If you go that route make sure you have enough clearance in the case for it.

Yeah but my bios checks out so its probably what your suggesting with windows doing something.
I just never experienced that with windows 7. even under load.
I can see my temps check out , even with my stock cooler in play I am getting 37 °C on my Intel Core i5 4460 when running chrome and I max at 50°C or so when playing steam games, still well below the max temps for my setup.
I was just concerned as I never encountered this behavior before.

Back
Top Bottom