Failed HDD Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy24769

Beta member
I recently built my own computer (first time doing so) and i had a couple minor problems that i had to overcome. I finally reached the operation system installation. (Win XP Pro) As i was reaching the end of my hard drive partition my monitor went out and i was unable to see what was going on. So i shut off the computer, and restarted it.
As i reached the boot screen where it shows all your devices, i get the normal boot from cd text at the bottom left hand corner, but instead of booting, it displays "missing ntfs" right underneath it and goes no further.

What am i supposed to do? I still need to finish partitioning the harddrive right? How do i go about starting it over? Ive been dying to get this comp up and running!!! Please help.

Check your boot order, making sure CD is first. If need be, remove Hard Drive from the order entirerly, then put it back in when you're done installing. That's what I had to do when for some reason my bios ignored the windows install CD and booted from the hard disk regardless.

Ya i checked that and cd is first. If removing hard drive from the order doesnt work, what other suggestions do you have?

maybe its a bad sector, perform a low level format. this will erase everything on the harddrive. download powermax from maxtor.com, and everything should be ok. i had the same problem

i'd try reinstalling the os again, it sounds like you didn't quite finish copying over all the install files. boot off the cd again and reformat the partition, and start the install over again. iÂ’d try that before a low level format, a low level formatÂ’s gunÂ’a tak hours maybe days depending on the size of the drive and the extent or the format.

right. the install files didnt finish i was about 90% done. as i try and boot from the cd again thats where the "missing ntfs" comes up and i cant get past that. So how do i reformat the harddrive when it doesnt get past the device listing screen where "boot from cd" and "missing ntfs" come up.

its a western digital 80 gb hd and yes the cd works fine. My girlfriend is getting really mad at me! lol she wants her computer fixed. Please help!!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom