F1 to bootup? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2005, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to KB3JUV Send a message via Yahoo to KB3JUV
Default F1 to bootup?

I am working on a friends computer that is really screwed up. His operating system was corrupt so I reinstalled Windows XP.

The computer is a HP Pavilion zv5000 laptop. To bootup anything, CD or harddrive, I have to press F1 after the little HP screen pops up. How can I stop it from doing that.

I reflashed the BIOS to the most updated version, yet it still won't boot up until I press F1.

Not only does it require f1 to boot, after it would boot to hard drive, it would give me a black screen with the little white vertical bars on the bottom and take about 2 minutes to completely fill the bars. Then it would give me the XP Home Edition load up screen, which was also slow. Once as I got into XP though, the thing ran fast as any computer I have ever used.

I am also completely erasing the as I am typing this using AutoClave.

What can I do to get rid of the F1 bootup? And how can I make sure the XP loads up fast?

Old 03-31-2005, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via MSN to synergy Send a message via Yahoo to synergy

That's a pretty new laptop. Is it still under warranty?

i7 2600K | TRUE 120 w/ Xigmatek XLF-F1253 | Asus Sabertooth P67 | 16 GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560Ti | 256 GB Plextor M3 SSD |80 GB Intel X25-M SSD | Corsair Graphite 600T
Coolermaster Purepower 850W | Samsung 25.5" 1920x1200 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

HTPC: AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz | Gigabyte GA-880GM mATX w/ ATI Radeon HD 4250 | 8 GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 1600
LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD ROM + DVD RW | 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD | WD Caviar 1 TB | Antec Veris Fusion Black HTPC Case
Logitech diNovo Edge KB | Win7 Pro 64-bit
3dMark06 23,159 | 3dMark Vantage 23,579 | TF2 Stats Page | BC2 Stats | BF3 Stats
MCSE (SharePoint 2013), MCITP & MCTS (SharePoint 2010), CIW
Old 03-31-2005, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member (again)
Send a message via AIM to macdude425 Send a message via Yahoo to macdude425

My computer has the same problem; it's probably a BIOS config problem.

Debian Support Forums!
Old 03-31-2005, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via ICQ to hosttds Send a message via AIM to hosttds Send a message via Yahoo to hosttds

If you go into the boot options in the bios there are options to select what order you wish for the computer to boot in. Most likly those arnt set and you just need to set them and your good to go.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Do you get an error message or anything when it tells you to press F1? I've seen this before, and it's usually because it hasn't detected a certain peripheral and it's asking for confirmation before proceeding. It might be in the "Halt On" setting in the BIOS. I.e. Halt on no keyboard detected, etc.

Although I never understood how you could press F1 when no keyboard was detected...

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 03-31-2005, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I don't know if it still is under warrenty. I guess I could check. I don't think they would do anything though.

The BIOS is set the way that it was from the factory. It is a PhenioxBIOS which has the option to load to factory settings. I did that and saved it. Still requires it to push F1.

My default boot order is

Diskette Drive
CD-ROM Drive
Hard Drive

I have tried setting it up different ways, with the hard drive first and it still requires me to push F1.

No error comes up. I found out that you have to push F1 just by trying a bunch of keys. If I didn't try that I would never know. It just doesn't do anything. It is a blank screen until you press F1.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

BTW...my hard drive is still being erased. If I let the computer sit for a while. The screen goes blank (still erasing in the background because the HD activity light is on still) but if I want to display the screen again, I have to push F1. This might help you guys out.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

disable the hp screen in bios so you can see your boot screen.
then maybe you can see what's going on.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

"No keyboard detected. Press "F1" to continue. Hahaha lol!

Yes, check the "Halt on" setting m3trj mentioned. You get this with stuff like empty CMOS battery, no mouse, memory error etc...
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 03-31-2005, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

also disable any LAN boot options and PXE in the bios

If you argue with an idiot he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread