Katmandu

In Runtime
Formatting HD problem...

PC keeps shutting down.

no, here's the best thing to do (since you are reformatting anyways):

download Parted Magic
burn it to cd with ISO Recorder v 2
boot to that cd
delete all the partitions (if you have more than one)
then reboot with the xp cd in and it should boot
I'm having the same basic issue as the original poster.

I just picked up a Sony Vaio laptop F270. From what I can gather is it has (2) separate partitions. I want to do a complete wipe/format of the HD and get back to having (1) Large partition.

However, I "tried" upgrading Win98 to XP Pro on the (1) partition. The PC gets to a certain point and simply reboots and/or shuts down completely. I can not access any files/folders at all. I can't even access the 2nd partition at this point.

I did download/burn PartMagic (as the above instructions). I reconfigured the BIOS to boot to the CD 1st.

The PC goes directly to the XP Pro and stops just like before. It will NOT boot from the CD.

HOW do I wipe this HD clean and Reformat it ??

TIA

When you install windows, is it from a disk. If so put in the disk and have it load from the disk. You should then be given a choice to load from the cd, then from there it will ask you if you want to install windows. Say yes and it should give you the option to make a partition for windows to install on. And there you should be able to delete the partitions and have just one large partition and install windows.

Say yes and it should give you the option to make a partition for windows to install on.

And there you should be able to delete the partitions and have just one large partition and install windows.
I actually did that a little while ago.

The HD is only a 6GB. There are (2) partitions, 4GB and a 2GB.

I deleted the 2GB partition hoping it would make one large 6GB partition. I did not for some reason. ???

I "tried" to reinstall XP on the remaining partition. This is where I ran into a real problem. Half way through the setup, the PC hits a certain spot and then just GOES DEAD!!!

When I reboot it, it keeps hitting this spot and SHUTS OFF.

I want to try and wipe the whole HD clean and start from square one.

I'm confused on how to proceed at this point. ???

Ideas ????

Alright insert your XP Disc. From there go thru the setup process. When you asked where to install Windows at you are given a few choices there. The 1 choice is to hit "L" to delete the partition. So do that. Delete all partitions on the drive. After that it should show the hard drive in RAW format. From there just choose that drive and have XP Format it. Not in quick mode either. Do a full format.

or your can use powermax 4.23 to wipe the drive with zero's then install xp. I'd check my ram too

no problem. How can I access my profile so I can put that link in? the old link don't exist anymore

no problem. How can I access my profile so I can put that link in? the old link don't exist anymore

You mean access your signature space here on TF?

At the top of the screen: User CP > on the left-side menu, click Edit Signature > delete the link that doesn't work/paste the new link.

Not sure if that's what you meant or not, but that's how I interpreted it.

You mean access your signature space here on tech forums?

At the top of the screen: User CP > on the left-side menu, click Edit Signature > delete the link that doesn't work/paste the new link.

Not sure if that's what you meant or not, but that's how I interpreted it.

that was exactly what I meant. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom