Extremely slow loggin into Domain, Microsoft Outlook very slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Wave

Beta member
Hi all, I am a newly employed system administrator in a company, so I don't have a lot of experience in the field.

On one of the computers of the workers, logging in into her account has become extremely slow. From when she gives in her password to when she can finally get to use the computer, it lasts about 4-5 mins. Then she can use the computer comfortably, but when she tries to use Microsoft outlook, outlook also freezes for about 5mins before she can finally get to using it.

This problem started suddenly, prior to this, the computer had been working just fine. I've defragmented, ran chkdsk, reduced the number of programs that start on bootup, stopped some services from running, but the problem is still thesame.

What I've noticed is that it happens with her account, but doesn't happen with my administrator account. Anybody familiar with such a problem? Any help will be highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Is it just with her account, or with her computer? It sounds like she just might have a slow nic card. Run the ping 127.0.0.1 which is the harware loopback test. Maybe it is just intermittent activity, that being why it is taking so long. Also see if there is another computer on the local network segment that could be causing the problem but sputtering out junk packets. Run network monitor and see what is happening on the network. Maybe there is too much dhcp traffic, if thats the case just increase the lease time. It could be a lot of stuff but i hope i helped with some places to check.

Thanks steak1986 for your suggestions and sorry for the extremely late reply. The problem is only with her account. When I log in with another account on the same PC, there is no problem.

what you can try is going to the admin account, rename her profile from example leslie to leslie.old. Then have her log back in and it will create a new profile. See if that helps

I had a problem like this where it would take 5 mins to boot on a domain. Well first of all is it a XP machine? If so there the problem is something with a group policy on the local machine that is telling the computer to run a script and keep trying to run it until it times out. Then after it times out the computer boots and runs fine. I don't remember the extract setting but open the mmc and play around with it. Also are you using roaming profiles? I've seen people have movies and music on there roaming profiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom