External HD and OS Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

BottleRocket

Baseband Member
So I am looking to get this external HDD from Seagate. It's at a good price for my first external (it's been way too long, I've never bought one before..I know that's bad).

Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent Go 250 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive-Black ST902503FAA2E1-RK: Electronics

I've read in the reviews that it won't support 64bit Vista. Although I don't have that now, I hope to build a new desktop and get a tablet, both with 64bit (Vista or Windows 7)

Is it cheap enough to get that now, and buy another one down the road that supports 64? Or should I buy one that already comes with 64 support? It will be at least 7-8 months before I begin my build and a year for the tablet.

I have 3 externals hooked up to Vista 64 right now without problems...I don't see why it would have any incompatibilities, unless for some reason the controller on the enclosure didn't like x64...

Well, it's just that people have bought the same model and their 64bit computers wouldn't recognize it. Is that something would change with Seagate or Windows 7?

That would be Seagate. Windows doesnt cater to the hardware. The hardware has drivers designed to work with the OS.

So if the hardware doesnt work right, contact Seagate and tell them to get drivers done.

I assume that's a good deal though from Amazon. I should probably just get it now, it will be a while before I even upgrade to 64bit....so why wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom