external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdna35

In Runtime
So I just got my external and I have it set up and looking all nice an pretty... but that is all it is doing. I have never used one before and so I am a little unsure of how to put my stuff onto it. I would like to put all my music and iTunes and all my games onto it so it can clear up my laptop hard drive a bit. I want to be able to run them from the external too (I don't want to use it just as a back up drive) you know what I mean? Will things still run as fast if I run them from the external as opposed to my internal? Thanks!

You can put you stuff on it just like as you would with an internal drive. Maybe the drive needs to be formatted before it will show up in "My Computer".
Go to start --> Run --> didksmgmt.msc
Right click the new disk to partition/format it.

You can install any programs or games on the disk. If it is running at USB 1.1 speeds it will be extremely slow. If it is connected using USB 2.0 the speed will be decent, but still slower than internal disks. If it is connected using Firewire it will be close to internal speeds.

Thanks! So I can put stuff I already have installed on my computer onto the external through My Computer?

werdna35 said:
Thanks! So I can put stuff I already have installed on my computer onto the external through My Computer?

You can copy anything you want to your external hard disk, but most installed programs will stop working if you do this.
First un-install the program/game, then re-install it on the external.

Seperate files like music, video and doc-u-ments can be copied without any trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom