External Drive Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjlambert

Baseband Member
Hey all,

After building my new computer (below) and getting things up and going I realize that I'm still an idiot when it comes to networking and software - I seem to have a mental block. So a question:

I have a 2T external drive on my network, plugged directly into my router. It shows up under View Network Computers and Devices. Clicking it just brings one to it's webpage, under which it just has Friendly Name, a place for text, and Submit Query. Is there a way for me to access the files on the drive without installing the cumbersome Seagate proprietary software? Any method with just Windows 7?

Thanks!

Have you tried just mapping it as a network drive?

Start > Computer > Map Network Drive (at the top of the window).

I haven't. Forgive the ignorance but I don't know which folder to specify when asked. (\\xxx\xxxxx). No idea.

I know it sounds dumb but I seriously can't picture networks in my head. Otherwise I'm smart - honest.

Kevin

Just click "Browse" and click on the computer the drive is connected to, and then click on the drive once it loads.

Before you can do this though, you have to have the drive shared on the computer it is attached to. Is the drive set to be shared?

No, it isn't. I'll figure it out I suppose, just need some more time. Not sure how to share it out since that isn't an option upon clicking it.

Thanks for your time.

What operating system does the computer have that the external drive is hooked up to?

Usually just go to th ecomputer it's hooked up to, Start > Computer > right click the drive > Properties > Sharing tab > Check the box to share it and name it whatever you want it to be seen on the network as.

It isnt on a computer but plugged directly into the Router. It is a NAS device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom