Extending a partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schecters

In Runtime
So, I have a 250 gig storage drive. I originally had 80 gigs for programs, partition "a" on the drive, and the rest for my data ("b"). I am running out of room on my data partition, and have a lot of unused space in my programs one. I'm wanting to ditch the idea of having programs installed on a separate disc, and give the space to the actual storage partition, b. Can I safely delete partition a and extend b over the whole drive, or will that fubar my storage partition?

I tried finding this online but every link I found was asking about expanding their main system partition, and that's not the situation here.

Thanks in advance for any help as usual!

Okay so let me get this right.

A is Drive
B is data

You are running out of room on B and wish to add A to B. But if you have programs already installed on A they will no longer work when you combine them. Unless you wish to unisntall the apps and reinstall them after the combination.

I'm about to reformat xp, and I'm just going to have my programs reside on the same drive (the 80 gig hard drive), so I don't need the programs partition on my 250. I'm wanting to know if adding free space that is in the front of the storage partition will affect it in any way.

I attached a picture to let you know what I'm talking about. Disk 2 is the hdd. And to make it more confusing, the drive letters are weird, so ignore them haha.

Attachments

• drive.JPG
    drive.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 13
Well you have stuff on the storage drive that you want to keep right? If so i have used GParted myself to do this before. The LiveCD version. It worked for me. Along with keeping my data.

You might be able to do it from within Windows right now if you format that drive first or delete the partition. It might allow you to extend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom