Explorer won't come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotwheels8

Beta member
I have a problem with my desktop computer. When I try to log in with any of my accounts, the taskbar or anything pretty much won't come up. The only thing that comes up is the background. All I can do is get into task manager, which does nothing. Any advice?

usual Scans

Have you restarted in 'Safe Mode' and carried out the usual cleanup and scans.

(1) Disk Cleanup
(2) Scan Disk
(3) Virus Scan
(4) Spy-Ware Scan
(5) Registry Mechanic
(6) Defragment

I know you don't need to carry out all these for your problem but while your in safe-mode you may aswell for a good tidy.

From here you are at a better position to diagnose your problem.

Also:

Start > Run > MSCONFIG > STARTUP

and uncheck stuff that you don't require every time the computer boots.

Hopefully after freeing up resources, clearing out crap and ordering your system you will beable to boot into Windows Explorer.

Otherwise it is a more serious problem.

Well, if what CHRIS said doesn't work, then you've probably got some type of malicious code (spyware, malaware, virus, trojan, etc..) on your computer, that's canceling out any request for "exploere.exe" to start. Also, have you modified "explorer.exe" lately? I know you can modify it, for example, to say something else in place of the word "start" on your start menu. If you've done that, you might have saved it as something else, or messeed "explorer.exe" up and made it unstartable. Also, if you've done this type of editing, you also might have possibly changed where your computer looks when it starts up, for "explorer.exe," which is located in the registry at
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

-SkyHi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom