"explore.exe - Bad Image" on XP startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

savechief

Beta member
Just installed XP over 98SE and every time XP finishes loading up, I get two popup boxes with the title "explore.exe - Bad Image." The text below the title says "The application or DLL XXX/XXX/XXX.tmp is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette." Two of those boxes everytime without fail. Each time, it seems that the .tmp file has a different name. When I search for that .tmp file, however, I never receive a result from the search. How do I prevent this from happening?

Thanks,

John

i dunno how to get rid of that particular error but i would never advise someone to write over the existing os or "upgrade" but do a comeplete format and fresh install. yes u have to back up ur data but its worth for the less headaches u will get since windows gives enough of them as is with the perfect install. if u dont have the means or dont want to back up u could create a new partition for windows alone and install to that partition and can still format and a fresh install without losing data and then u could have a dual boot with 98 and xp. well thats what i would do if i were u.

also u can try running sfc /scannow from the command prompt and windows will verify all the system files altho ive never had this fix a problem but its easy and if it works then great if not then its not a big deal to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom