Expanding Windows 7 Pro Partiton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
I installed windows 7 pro about 2 weeks ago and I have decided that its time to move all my files around and organize my Hard drive. I installed Windows 7 Pro on a 40GB partition with plans to expand it after I got off of Windows 7 RC and Windows Vista. I've moved some stuff around and how have 60GB of unallocated space on my main Hard drive and I want to expand the partition but I cannot expand it in Windows 7 Pro nor in GParted. I don't know were to go from here, all help is much appreciated.

Ok I'll try that tomorrow thanks for the help... And by the way the version of Windows 7 Pro I'm using is the full version and not the trial or a RC.

EDIT: I have already tried doing that and it won't let me expand the partition.

Either way, it is wisest to backup all your User data first (just in case it is accidentally removed)
If the above guide does not help then you may need to do a clean install of your trial of Windows 7
Windows 7 has not been released yet on Users computers
You can buy it though

Oh :eek:

Ok then you are certainly one of the few.
I am aware that some do have this

My last recommendation was to backup and then re-install clean (ie remove all partition first (Gparted can do this ;) or just use your Windows 7 Setup disc/drive)

I loved Partition Magic, and I still have the DOS bootCD
But this program has not updated for a long time, and therefore...
Free Gparted is preferred (or use your Windows 7 disc/ or boot flash drive

Win7 is available to anyone with MSDN/TechNET subscriptions as well as the Official Beta testers via Connect. ;)

GParted can resize easily. Do you have space after the Win7 Partition that is unpartitioned and in RAW format? This will be the best and easiest way to expand it.

Win7 is available to anyone with MSDN/TechNET subscriptions as well as the Official Beta testers via Connect. ;)

MSDNAA from my tech school :)

GParted can resize easily. Do you have space after the Win7 Partition that is unpartitioned and in RAW format? This will be the best and easiest way to expand it.

I booted from the GParted CD and it would not let me increase the size of the partition even though there was 60GB of unallocated space on the disk. Tomorrow I will try again and after that I will try Partition Magic. If worst comes to worst I can back up all my files (to my other HDD) and re-install that way but resizing is much preferred over that method.

Just a quick though I do have 2 hard drives in my computer one 500GB one (this on has vista, win 7 RC, and win7 pro on it.) and a 750GB one. The free space I am trying to expand to is on the 500GB hard drive and I plan to have win 7 on the 500GB hard drive while I use the 750gb one for extra storage and backing up stuff. Even though I am not trying to expand the partition to another hard drive could having 2 hard drives in my computer effect what is happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom