Exe's fail to load for several minutes after establishing dial-up connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard596

In Runtime
I just starting having this problem a few weeks ago and took me a long time to narrow it down.

After I connect to my dial-up account, any programs I try to run won't load for 3-5 minutes. It is as if the computer is frozen except that any programs already open prior to dialing-up keep working fine. So long as I have my browser open BEFORE dialing, I can start surfing immediately. The hangup is only with exe's I try to run AFTER establishing the dial-up connection.

I have tried opening task manager before dialing so I could keep an eye on all the processes, but nothing seems out of place.

This only happens after dialing the connection and lasts for about 5 minutes or so and then everything works fine again. CPU and Memory usage is always normal so it's not like something is bogging the system down. It just won't load those new exe's right away.

This is getting old and I can't find a fix for it. I can't even find the source (other than being somehow dial-up related) Thanks for any help.

Disable all your programs in msconfig, reboot and see what happens. What .exe 's are you referring too?

Ok I disabled all startup items in msconfig plus a few services I didn't need and rebooted. That seemed to fix it so I re-enabled everything in startup except a few I don't need anymore. Rebooted and it's still working fine so that narrows it down basically to two things: Norton GoBack and Nokia phone tools - neither of which I use anyway so I guess I'm good. At least for now. Thanks for your quick reply.

BTW, I was talking about exe's as in any program at all that I tried to run. ie: I could click the icons to start Word, Messenger, Notepad, etc, and none of them would start for several minutes but then suddenly they would all load at once. Something was preventing anything from loading, but it wasn't because of CPU load or anything.

Not exactly sure why, but at least it's working now so I'm happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom