.exe OS's?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Question .exe OS's??

would .exe file be allowed to work on annother OS or has bill gates protected it because to me it seems like there is a severe lack of other OS's using .exe files and a LOT of linux based OS's all using .tar and .gz.

wouldnt it be sencible to produce annother Linux based OS capable of running .exe files or is this impossible??

ill be interested to see what people think - Rich.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sui
Ultra Techie

Yes and no. Executables now a days are not stand alone. They depend on the operating system they're running on for many things inside windows. Keep in mind windows is like 15 years in the running, to build an operating system that could do everything windows does for programs would a nearly imposible task. It'd be great if microsoft had some competition, but its not gonna happen in the user market until MS makes some seriously bad decisions, to piss off the majority of the market, so its profitable for programers to program for another OS.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

.exe's can be run in linux. look up wine. http://winehq.com i think is the addy. obviously its not perfect and there are lots of things that don't work but it is still interesting none the less. after installing wine it is possible to simply click on a *.exe and run it. my question is how easily can windows run linux software?
Old 10-04-2005, 04:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

well i belive to run a linux program on windows all you would need was the source/object code and a windows compiler obviously quite a lot of linux programs wouldnt work due to the file structure, but the princible is there and seeing as a LOT of Linux/unix software is open source it wouldnt take all that long to adapt it.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

linux doesnt care about file extensions to the same extent windows does. There is nothing to stop you creating an application and calling it application.txt, as long as you give it executable permissions it'll work fine. In windows however if you remove the .exe extension it wont know what to do with it.

There is no real reason that i know of why applications in linux dont have .exe extensions it is more a case of why bother.

.tar and .gz are like .zip folders under windows. generally when you download a program under linux you compile it yourself, this way it can be optimized for your system - it also means you have the ability to make any changes required.

so yeah basically windows relies on file extensions linux doesnt.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by fitzjj

There is no real reason that i know of why applications in linux dont have .exe extensions it is more a case of why bother.

.tar and .gz are like .zip folders under windows. generally when you download a program under linux you compile it yourself, this way it can be optimized for your system - it also means you have the ability to make any changes required.
[/B]
what im trying to say is that, a linux OS that could Execute .exe would be very usefull. when i first started off with linux (i only did a little) i used suse linux, i loved the interface and the ease of use with the programs, however, i got very confused when trying to install files (i fuigered it out eventualy), logicly making a linux that could execute windows apps, still have the flexablility of open source software/bash shell AND not have anything like a regestry for malisous software to hide in (and having a KILL function), would bring a quite frankly much better made OS into the open market, making development and innovation easyer.

well thats my argument i reallize there are flaws in it but i still think it would be the next step to take

ill check up on this forum and see what yall think - Rich

Edit: i do agree with the point about optimizing them for your system but remember with a lot of programs under linux you have the choice of downloading the source or the *.rpm (under cirtain distrabutions) all im saying is that it would be nice to have the choice and why not have .exe files that could be optomized for the system its perfectly possible with the right knolage and compilers.

Edit 2: however people do benefit from having a cirtain standard. for instance if everyone has a fax machine, the value of the fax and the value of the service to the indervidual increases (this can be linked with having a standard platform accross the board) so having a market full of microsoft platforms can actually be good.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

p.s. i do A level economic as well as A level Computer sciences, so thats where the rant about fax machines came from (im just trying to apply a concept ) you get the idea (i hope).