.EXE files won't run (and i need some help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack12523

Beta member
hey guys,

this is my first post but after surfing the internet it seems like u guys might be able to help me... so thanks in advance

a couple days ago my computer wouldn't open firefox, internet explorer, aim,(anything .exe) etc so i decided that i would clean my computer with the cd,

it worked for a couple hrs, i even restarted a few times, but it happened again so i cleaned my hard drive again....

but now i have realized that anything .exe won't open and cleaning my hard-drive is basically just wasting time because i keep getting the same problem,

when i click on a program like firefox and press ctrl+alt+delete it doesn't show up under applications but it does show up under processes

i have a gateway with XP on it, i really want these files working again

any help will be appreciated,

i cannot use that computer though because i doesn't have internet so i am using an older one, i could use my external hard-drive to get downloads to the other computer, but i will not be able to directly click links from that computer.

thanks again, i will be going to bed soon, but i will post back asap
please give some help i wanna be able to use that computer again (the computer i am using has windows 2000! slow lol)

It sounds like a hardware problem rather than a software problem. He said that he had reinstalled XP several times already (at least that's what I got out of it).

Try running Memtest86+:
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Download the ISO and burn it to a blank CD. If you don't have any ISO burning software, then use the freeware ImgBurn: The Official ImgBurn Website

Let Memtest run for at least 4 hours (just run it over night), and let us know if it finds anything wrong.

You could also run a check disk on your HDD:

open My Computer > right click your primary C drive > Properties > Tools tab > under Error Checking click Check Now > Check both boxes and hit OK > Will prompt you to restart, so then restart and let it do its thing. It may take a while, depending on how large your HDD is.

Edit: Also, when you're reformatting, are you doing a full format or a Quick Format? If you're doing a Quick Format, do a Full Format instead.

It sounds more like a virus, as it is only when he trys to execute a .exe, there are a few that out there that can cause that to happen.

Like I said, that's just what I got out of it. Probably just a misinterpretation of terminology on my part. OP said "cleaned his HDD with the CD" and to me that means reinstalled.

hey guys,

i have a gateway with XP on it, i really want these files working again

any help will be appreciated,

doesn't sound to me that he has reinstalled windows, he says that he has cleaned the PC a few times.. not sure what he means by that..

Zack - go through Osiris's Guide

* EDIT - some how my reply ended up 4 posts after I had written it.. LOL
you guys are to quick :)

sorry 5 posts and now I look @ the time between and it don't seem logical lol :freak:

doesn't sound to me that he has reinstalled windows, he says that he has cleaned the PC a few times.. not sure what he means by that..

a couple days ago my computer wouldn't open firefox, internet explorer, aim,(anything .exe) etc so i decided that i would clean my computer with the cd,

it worked for a couple hrs, i even restarted a few times, but it happened again so i cleaned my hard drive again....

Makes it sounds like to me he re-installed (like I said in my previous post, could be a terminology error on my part).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom