Excel - recent files

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I sometimes find that the Excel file I'm working on isnt at the top of my Recent Documents list. And sometimes I dont see it *anywhere* in the recent docs, even tho mine is set to show the 25 recently used. Why would this be, and is there a fix?

Maybe cause your still working on it, that is why it doesnt appear on the list? Have you tried exiting out of the work and seeing if it shows up then?

I was reluctant at the time because if it didnt show up after I exited then I would've lost the file. I could try writing down the path before exiting but that's just a huge pain. I dont remember the file name at the moment so cant really recreate and test that solution, but that doesnt really sound optimal to be honest. Is there another way?

Well honestly you should know the paths to your files. There isn't a single file on my PC that I have created that I don't know exactly where it is. Be it a tax return, receipt or anything of the sort. I can tell you exactly which drive and folder it is located in as well as where it is located on my backup drive.

So maybe that should be a bit more of a concern than Windows not showing you the item in recent location. You should know where your stuff is. Windows is just a tool to get a job done, it shouldn't be expected to keep track of your stuff for you. You should already be doing that yourself and only using Windows as a way to access it.

So that would be my suggestion as to another way. Start by organizing your stuff so you can find it no matter what. Stop relying on programs and other tools to do what you should already be doing yourself.

That way it wont matter what Excel shows, you will already know where to find the file. That way if, heaven forbid, you had to reinstall Windows, you wont have to rely on something that wont be there to find something you need. You will already know where your files are since there will be no such thing as a recent location at that point. Save yourself time and trouble and organize now.

Last edited:
Its not my home computer, its the work one. I'm on a network with various files all over the place. No way can I know where everything is, nor can I move files that others are relying on.

I can't replicate your issue on any of our machines here, and it seems each document pops up in the "recent" list after you open it regardless of whether it's been closed or not.

Are you the only person experiencing this issue?

Not sure I havent asked anyone. Its not a regular thing but has indeed happened before.

Back
Top Bottom