Everything has something wrong, XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlacKer586

Beta member
Hi,

I have a AMD Athlon 1.33, K7SEM v3.0a, 512MB Apacer PC133. Its all rigged in a HP Pavilion Case Using the PSU that was origionaly in it. I rigged its all in there because I didnt have the time or money for a case at the time being. My problems are as follows:

Windows Media Player
Doesnt Detect CD Burner
Error Comes up everytime I open the "Burn" tab
Can't play Videos that use the embedded ver. of WMP in Internet Explorer like on "stupidvideos.com" for exemple although When I play them in Quicktime mode they work.

Nero 7
Detects Burner but every MP3 I try to add to burn list comes back with a error that says "One or more files could not be added to a compilation. Min. track lenth is 2 sec.! (Which all my MP3's are good and tested)

Adobe Reader
When I open a document it looks fine until I scroll which then it makes the doc. unreadable

Other
When I install Firefox, then try to use it, It doesnt even open at all, Ive tried FF SafeMode still nothing.

The weird thing is that When I installed Windows XP Pro. During setup it recognizes my processor as a "Pentium Exteva" and Reports that there is a proplem with the Math Unit or something similar, but in windows and on Belarc and AMD's "CPUInfo" It detects as it should be. AMD Athlon 1.33

Some things Ive tried to fix these issues....
Reformatted twice, Checked and Downloaded all Windows updates and drivers, Exchanged RAM with another system, External and Internal Cache on and off, Every type of System scan I know of...., DX is updated although when doing the tests with the cube spinning, it spins at an incredible speed that sort of makes it look like a circle

Could this be from the PSU that Im using? Since its probly made for HP boards and parts its wattage is 140 or is there a testing program I could use to see if the rights wattage is coming out. I even tried to run the cpu at lower speeds using the bios. Which I forgot to say the bios was updated too.

If anyone needs more info Ill post asap I am up almost 19 hrs a day just ask...

I am running late for work Ill post more when I get back if I think of more. Ill try anything.

OK, Heres what I came up with. I did as Warez said, 1st I reset cmos then I Flashed bios. Still no improvment on anything. Although After I did that i downloaded a free burning tool just to see for the hell of it. And it worked I installed Deepburner. Also I found that if I rollback to Windows media player 8, I can watch videos online but still cant burn.

Also I just found out that when I use google maps any address I type in takes me to the same spot in a whole different spot then I typed. Although Google Maps works on my other 2 systems.

My question is since I flashed (and maybe fixed something) should I do a fresh Install again?

Oh and I Bought a PSU and that wasnt the problem with any thing, but im getting better Voltages now :)

Regards,

SlacKer

personally, i would do a fresh reinstall. you might have had an old bios, etc. go ahead and see what happens. do you use sp2?

Ok Sorry for the long time to reply. Heres some more info.
I did a fresh install this time using a program to write 0's on the disk 3x (DoD Format), as I was installing windows once again the setup came up with the cpu error. I didnt write it down but it says something like "Your Intel Pentium Errata exhibits a minor math problem with the floating-point divide unit" I did update the bios to the newest.

This time right when the install was done before doing Anything else I decided to try to open Windows media player 8. When I try to play the song that comes with xp "Like Humans do" or whatever its called a Windows media player error comes up with "The specified key is invalid" actually I just tried almost everything in WMP and anything I do comes up with that error....

Ok I did some searching and found someone else with the errors but its from 4 yrs ago and its a cached snapshot of a website thats not in use anymore
http://www.google.com/search?q=cach...showthread.php?t=10410+"pentium+errata"&hl=en

This is nuts, I wish I could figure this out but it doesnt look good. I am going to do some more testing and research Ill be back to post shortly..

THANKS for all the help so far...

I might try doing the DOS Test and re seat my cpu

sound like your processor is on the way to the grave. It's flunking a basic test

Hey Guys you might laught at me but I found the problem, I had the wrong processor in it. I have 3 athlon 1.33's from my old network. and I just remembered awhile back i put one in a cheap temp system and after like 4 days of being on the psu which was one of those 15 dollar ones caught fire and burnt the mobo and video card, I thought the cpu was ok at the time because I tested just by turning on the pc and cheacking bios to see if it was giving me the right speed so I threw it in my collection of computer stuff not relizing it must have blew the floating point unit... lol oh well at least it works ok for browsing and documents. Thanks again for the help.

Also Ive been checking these forums out alot latly, I wish I found these awhile ago Im sure Ill be a regular before you know it. In my own opinion from what ive seen so far, I am sure these forums offer way more help and info then paid TSR's.

Take care
#SlacKer#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom