Europe to get Windows 7 sans browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hefemeister

Lord Techie,
Source
Microsoft plans to remove Internet Explorer from the versions of Windows 7 that it ships in Europe, CNET News has learned.

Reacting to antitrust concerns expressed by European regulators, Microsoft plans to offer a version in Europe that has the browser removed. Computer makers would then have the option to add the browser back in, ship another browser or ship multiple browsers, according to a confidential memo that was sent to PC makers and seen by CNET News.

"To ensure that Microsoft is in compliance with European law, Microsoft will be releasing a separate version of Windows 7 for distribution in Europe that will not include Windows Internet Explorer," the software maker said in the memo. "Microsoft will offer IE8 separately and free of charge and will make it easy and convenient for PC manufacturers to preinstall IE 8 on Windows 7 machines in Europe if they so choose. PC manufacturers may choose to install an alternative browser instead of IE 8, and has always been the case, they may install multiple browsers if they wish."

Microsoft confirmed the authenticity of the document but declined to comment further.

I know there has been talk of this but it seems official now.

It looks like removing iE may not have helped.

Source

Yesterday Microsoft announced that in Europe it would not be shipping Internet Explorer 8, its market-leading browser offering, with Windows 7, its new operating system which launches October 22. Despite the fact that its primary competitor, Apple's OS X Snow Leopard will ship with a proprietary browser (Safari), Microsoft felt it necessary to unbundle the browser in hopes of avoiding another costly antitrust bout with the European Union.

Unfortunately, for Microsoft its best was not good enough. The European Commission announced late Thursday that it would still be pursuing charges against Microsoft. The EC sticks with its previous assertion that by tying Internet Explorer to Windows, since 1996, Microsoft is "stealing" a unique and unfair advantage.

The EC says it took note of Microsoft decision to not bundle IE 8 with Windows 7, but it felt that the decision did not give users enough "genuine consumer choice". States an EC release, "At the level of both computer manufacturers and retail sales, the Commission's statement of objections (SO) suggested that consumers should be provided with a genuine choice of browsers. Given that over 95 percent of consumers acquire Windows pre-installed on a PC, it is particularly important to ensure consumer choice through the computer manufacturer channel."

The statement summarizes, "Rather than more choice, Microsoft seems to have chosen to provide less."

The EC wants to force Microsoft to bundle rival browsers -- Opera, Mozilla's Firefox, Google's Chrome or Apple's Safari -- with Windows as install options. Microsoft has been unwilling to do this. Its main OS competitor, Apple does not bundle competitive browser offerings.

Opera's lawyer, Thomas Vinje, cheered the decision, stating, "Microsoft must now give users real choice, and not only buyers of new computers, but also existing users. Microsoft should provide a ballot screen through which both existing users and buyers of new PCs can easily select and get a browser of their choice."

Opera Chief Technology Officer HÃ¥kon Wium Lie added in a statement, "We note with intereste that Microsoft now seems capable of separating IE from Windows. However, we do not believe that Microsoft's move will restore competition for desktop browsers. Most users get their operating systems from the OEM channel and Microsoft will recommend that OEMs pre-install IE8. As such, users are unlikely to be given a genuine choice of browsers."

He continues, "We believe that the idea of a ‘ballot screen' is better: when going online, users will be asked which browser(s) they prefer to use. The browser(s) of choice will the painlessly be installed and ready for use."
The lawyer, Mr. Vinje, has also suggested that Microsoft should be retroactively fined for using its Windows platform to inflate its IE lead over competitive browsers like Netscape in 1990s. This proposal seems unlikely as the EC has not commented on potential fines (other than those for non-compliance). However, it is not outside the realm of possibility -- the EC has fined Microsoft over $2B USD for past antitrust abuses.

The attitude expressed by the Opera executive they interviewed is enough to stop me from recommending their browser regardless of how good it is. Firefox's steadily increasing marketable proves that a good product can compete and be successful in the browser market.

What if Microsoft just stopped selling windows in Europe and just disappeared? Refused support and all. I bet they would stop fining them then, when they realized that they need M$ more than M$ needs them.

Back in '98 they had anti trust litigation about IE. I think it's a load of crap, M$ can offer whatever they want with their OS, that isn't monopolistic. If Opera isn't good enough to overcome the fact that windows ships with a browser then it probably shouldn't exist anyways. Firefox has a 25% share of the industry, so it is pretty apparent to that shipping IE with windows isn't a death sentence for other browsers. You just have to make a better browser. Which honestly isn't that hard.

I typed a huge post and it didnt post. :(

Anyways, IMO it is the PC distributor that should have to deal with what the customers want, not Microsoft, it isn't like they can't install Firefox...

Really, fining Microsoft $2 billion for putting their own program in an OS? That is plain stupid, if people don't want to use IE then install a new browser once you get the PC. Other browser companies should stop complaining too, it's not like Microsoft has to put a program they didn't make in an OS, they can put in what they want. This is just ridiculous now.

Even if I got Win7 without IE I would still install it. I use it maybe 1% of the time but every once in a while you need it. Plus I always want at least 3 different browsers installed just in case.

I hope the EU sends me a copy of firefox when I buy Win7 so I will be able to get updates and programs I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom