EU accuses Microsoft of harming browser competition (Reuters)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saxon while i do somewhat see what your saying. I made this point already.

Firefox makes it know that it is a FREE browser. So if it comes included with Windows and you have to pay for Windows are you not in turn paying for use of Firefox?

I do not see Mozilla allowing for Firefox to be included in Windows cause it is a paid software. Opera and Chrome on the other hand wont care. Possibly even Safari. But Mozilla is included with Linux distros cause they are free to distribute. Unlike Windows which is a paid software.

I can bet that if Firefox would be included and Mozilla got a kickback from every copy of Windows sold for having their software included many of hte Open Source advocates would be up in arms over it.

This is ridiculous, without IE i couldn't have downloaded Firefox!

Next they'll be saying that wordpad and calculators are being monopolised by MS, and paint as well, i mean everyone uses that program for making graphics because its on the os!.... eerm.. wait

EU=fail

Saxon while i do somewhat see what your saying. I made this point already.

Firefox makes it know that it is a FREE browser. So if it comes included with Windows and you have to pay for Windows are you not in turn paying for use of Firefox?

I do not see Mozilla allowing for Firefox to be included in Windows cause it is a paid software. Opera and Chrome on the other hand wont care. Possibly even Safari. But Mozilla is included with Linux distros cause they are free to distribute. Unlike Windows which is a paid software.

I can bet that if Firefox would be included and Mozilla got a kickback from every copy of Windows sold for having their software included many of hte Open Source advocates would be up in arms over it.

Actually, M$ probably could include FF in their OS as this would be an aggregate work Frequently Asked Questions about the GNU Licenses - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Interesting. But honestly to me, i dont see Mozilla agreeing to include Firefox without getting something out of it. Come on you are talking about one of the biggest selling PC Items out there. (Also the most pirated) No way that they wouldnt want to cash in on it and get some more cash for development and for their people.

To me that would be what broke the back. Cause being free and open source no way they should get kickbacks. But i am only guessing.

Interesting. But honestly to me, i dont see Mozilla agreeing to include Firefox without getting something out of it. Come on you are talking about one of the biggest selling PC Items out there. (Also the most pirated) No way that they wouldnt want to cash in on it and get some more cash for development and for their people.

To me that would be what broke the back. Cause being free and open source no way they should get kickbacks. But i am only guessing.

Well you see, that's part of the beauty of it. Assuming what I said previously is correct (and I think it is), there's not a thing mozilla (or anyone else for that matter) can do to prevent it because the GPL does not permit the retraction of rights it has already granted nor does it permit additional resrictions to be placed on those who have already obtained the code.
If I were giving copies of firefox to friends, Mozilla cannot come along at any point to stop me doing that.
In fact even if mozilla changed to a different licence to prevent this, they could not apply it backwards onto versions they have already released under the GPL, nor could they force others to stop distributing the code they have already released.
All MS would have to do is place notice saying what componants are under the GPL along with the conditions of the GPL and either the source code or instructions of how to get it.
However, the most important thing to MS is the broad and complete adoption of their and only their software; this is why it's not going to happen.

That is not completely true. As Microsoft does help promote other softwares. Just look at Wincustomize. They have not stopped that and have actually helped that software become better by allowing them access to things related to the themes to allow for better adaptation of the software to work with Windows.

EasyBCD is another example. The creator of that got all the boot information for boot.ini and BCD that he needed to be able to make the software fully work. He had help from several people at Microsoft to help the development of the software.

While yes Microsoft would prefer you use their software they are not opposed to people using other software. They know that they dont have all the software needed to do what people want.

I mean Windows 7 now has a built in ISO burner. First time that has ever happened. Cause ISO files are now becoming more popular. But at the same time they dont stop people from using 3rd party software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom