Ethernet Controller Missing Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkttt87

Baseband Member
Okay, here's the thing: Just got a brand new PC in the mail. An HP a6000y Pavilion. It came with Vista which was promptly overwritten with XP Pro SP2 (didn't even boot to Vista when I first turned it on). Everything went fine and the drivers for most all of the hardware got reinstalled for XP except those for the modem and the integrated Ethernet. Computer doesn't even know the modem exists. 'Ethernet Controller' is showing up in Device Manager with the whole yellow exclamation point going on. No drivers were found. I was just going to dial-up to the web and let the computer search for the drivers online, but again, no modem. I've talked with HP Tech Support twice and the two different people gave me drivers from two different manufacturers to try (apparently, they didn't have a clue). Neither worked. The Ethernet is integrated, so I thought I'd try to MoBo manufacturer. HP told me LIVERMORE-945GCT-HM was the manufacturer. That doesn't help me much in the way of finding the drivers. It's a brand new machine so I don't want to open it up and void the warranty. How to find the driver for this Ethernet Controller??

You should've at least booted into Vista to check out the system properties in a program such as PC Wizard. Then, you could have downloaded the appropriate XP drivers and installed XP. You could TRY installing PC Wizard 2007 (www.cpuid.com), or you could open the box and look for the network chip, which might prove worthless as the chip is just one of many on the same board. You may also try a Linux boot CD, they often will tell you what hardware you have since Linux has drivers for pretty much anything on most bootable CD's.

Yeah, I should've, but had done the same thing several times before with no issues. =P Guess there's a first time for everything. Installed and ran PC Wizard which provided me with the correct info for the Ethernet Controller, etc. Downloaded and installed the correct drivers. No go. Got the chipset info and reinstalled all drivers for that. No go. Still issues with the 'Ethernet Controller' and 'PCI Bus'. I was thinking at this point of just doing a System Recovery to Vista, but an F11 to get into that at boot does nothing and the D: (Recovery) drive appears empty...? I opened the box and got the modem manufacturer to try and download drivers for that so I could at least get online. Found the drivers, but when I try to install, absolutely nothing happens. I'm at a dead end again.

you need the right chipset the right hd audio driver before it even attemp to see the modem. HP have them tied in together. when you get the right chipset you will also be allow to install the nic gigabit driver.

it's a pain to install xp over vista with a hp machine

install everest and post the mobo info the chipset and other info, so I can help you out.

when you install xp, you should have left the recovery partition so you could reinstall vista. you may have voided your warranty.

Recovery Partition is still there and an Ad-Aware scan revealed that all the files were still in it (D:\), but I just can't get to it. Boot screen says F11=System Recovery, but when I press it, NADA.

Anyways, I'd actually gone back into Device Manager and tried just letting Windows do a search for the correct driver. Lo and behold, it's got the correct Realtek driver sitting right there, I select it and BOOM, everything is hunky dory. Network is up and running, I restore all my backed up files, start putting some programs on the compy. Then I go to take care of this 'Activate Windows' thing that's been bugging me since I turned the machine on. Long story short, I was not able to activate Windows, it wouldn't take my product key, so I completely reinstalled Windows, this time XP Pro minus the SP2 (I'd always just gone online and gotten that before I'd gotten the XP Pro w/ SP2 software). Well, same deal with the drivers, nothing is showing up. I go back to do the same thing as before, but upon going into the Device Manager and asking Windows to search for the drivers for 'Network Adapters', it thinks, opens up the little screen to display them (which promptly goes white) and then stops responding. It'll pull up drivers for other stuff, but nothing for the Network. I go to install the chipset, but the computer won't let me run the install, coming up with, "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect."

:( Stuck again.

I called 'em. They said they couldn't help me because I had the software on my laptop too. Shoulda lied and told 'em it was just on the one compy. (I gotta pay $140 for two copies of the same thing so I can have it on my desktop and notebook...?! I'll just stick to doing w/o SP2 and downloading that after install from now on. Bah.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom