Error message - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Error message

when i was starting my computer up today, i got this message

"C: Progra~1 install 1 E1459~1 setup.exe"

Is it a corrupt file or invalid entry?

Blue4paper

Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Default Re: Error message

Is it in your startup folder? We need a few more details.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Go into the folder options and unhide all files and folders. Then go into the C:\Windows folder. See if there is a folder in there called Installer. If so delete it. I had this problem on my laptop as well. I went thru Osiris's guide and it was still there. This is what i did to get rid of it.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 01-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Looks like to me is in msconfig>startup
Old 01-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

That is what i thought as well Osiris. But as i said on my laptop i went thru the msconfig. I used the msconfig tool in your guide. It was still there. It was not until after i deleted that folder that it was gone.

You could be right. It could be in the msconfig. But for me it wasnt.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

We shall see
Old 01-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Well it was a **** mystery for me. I went thru your whole guide and my HiJack was clean. Yet i still kept getting this pop up at startup and the Windows Installer kept erroring out cause it couldnt find the file.

Then i found that blasted folder. Took me the better part of a day getting thru all that. I was not happy.

But you are most likely right. It just looks like somehting trying to install. Just like what i had.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Well its a mystery for I too, because now that popup isn't showing up at my startup, weird eh? I still took a screenshot of my MSCONFIG + WinPatrol, i myself didn't see an "installer" but I'll let you have a look, mind you i dont have alot of startup items.

Blue4paper
Old 01-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

You dont have a lot of startup items?????? I see possibly 15 entries. All you need running is your antivirus, all that other garbage in not neccessary and WinPatrol, that's a waste. I don't see why so many people have these useless programs installed like Ram Optimizers, etc. I don't care who advertises it, it's a money making scheme. So what they put all those utilities in one package/program, learn how to use the operating system the correct way. Trust me on this.....

If you disable everything but your antivirus your issue will most likely go away. Then once you have only your antivirus running, download msconfig cleanup and delete the rest of those entries.

The least amount of programs you install will give you the least amount of problems.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

I suppose useless, but winpatrol is free :O and it does do its job pretty well. Are you sure none of the "nvidias" are necessary? Also some startup items i do need. Yes for one my anti virus, i need my "3D Audio Configurations" just because its my audio equalizer and makes my sound sound awesome :P. I need my "CursorXP" since i dont like the default windows mouse lol, i need my "nvidia settings" since its much easier than going to the control panel to change/configure my graphics settings for my screen or if I'm switching to a dual screen. I require "zune launcher" otherwise my zune wont start, since its the service for the zune. I could manually go the folder make a shortcut of "zune launcher" but i figure starting up with it is easier :P

The only one i don't know is "ctfmon.exe" whats that? no wait i better Google it lol. Alright its required for Office support...hm I'll debate on keeping that one.

Alright I'm down to 11 startup programs, i hope this is ok. By the way "SunjavaupdateShed" if i disable it will i stop receiving java updates? Or will it still go automatically?

Closed Thread