error loading operating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phosho510

Daemon Poster
this happens when i tried to install windows xp using a clean install, after it copys the installation files and reboot it says error loading operating system. whats wrong?

I had this problem a couple of months ago. I asked EVERYWHERE for help, even called a few of my local shops and they all suggested some pretty weird solutions. This is somehting that I had to figure out on my own, and it was actually pretty easy.

It seems to happen when you are trying to install Windows after you have wiped out Linux, or atleast thats whne it happened to me. I think some of the boot files were conflicting somewhere still even after repartitioning.

Download a PowerMax boot floppy here:

http://downloads.maxtor.com/downloads/_files/maxtor/en_us/downloads/powermax.exe

Boot from the disk, and write 0's to the hard drive. It will take a while, but it solved my problem.

is there something you can download to a disk? i dont have a floppy drive.
actually i did have linux and tried to install win xp over it, so i deleted the linux partition.
thanks.

also what do you mean write 0's to the hard drive?

is the powermax low level format suppose to take that long? its been like 10mins and its still testing.

Yes, it could take hours. Low level format will write 0's to all of the sector, and return the hard drive back to factory specs.

dang... alright thanks im trying it right now. it seems to finish now i am partitioning eveything.

error loading operating system

I have a similiar problem to this post and I was hoping you could help me. My cousins computer crapped out it wouldnt boot up or anything so I took his hd out and reimaged it with xp pro. The install went fine and was working normally in my test machine. Then when I put it back into his machine and booted up I got the error loading operating system. The drive works in my other machine with no problem and doesnt work in his machine. I even flashed the bios with the newest version and still the same error.
Any help would be appreciated this is number 3 of computers I have sitting broken in my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom