Error Loading Codec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicarius

Baseband Member
I get this note, whenever I try to watch Season 1 of Red Vs Blue on my computer. I get audio, but no video. They're .wmv files, does anyone know which codec I need?

Why can't I see the video when I'm playing a video file?

If you can hear the audio, but can't see the video in Windows Media Player, two scenarios are possible:

You never see video.

You see video for a few seconds, but then it disappears or becomes discolored (for example, it turns purple or green).

I never see video

If you're playing an AVI file, it's possible that the video codec required to decode and display the video is not installed on your computer. To determine which codec was used to create the file, do the following:

Use a codec detection utility to determine the FourCC code of the file.

Look up that FourCC for Video Compression Web page or in the codecs section of the FourCC Web site.

After you determine which codec is required, you can then download the correct codec from the Internet. The Windows Media Player Multimedia File Formats Web page provides links to suppliers of some of the more frequently used video codecs for AVI files. However, keep in mind that some codecs can introduce instability with programs or your computer in general, so make sure that a codec is from a trustworthy source before downloading and installing it.

If you are playing Windows Media Video (WMV) files, but can't see the video, see the question, "Where can I get codecs for the Player?" in the Media Advice archive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom