Error 0xc000021A PC wont boot

John Calm

Baseband Member
Using Windows 8.1 digital purchase, no CD.

This classic error just started happening yesterday. Had no problem with the pc in the morning, came home late and when I tried to turn it on it didnt got pass the error screen. All I remeber doing in the morning is an adobe flash update which I did not install, just dowloaded to install later. Then nothing else, I was using firefox and did nothing else.

Tried almost everything to solve it.
Every cmd command that is around.
Sfc scannow
Bcdedit into safe mode, with and without cmd, and bootmenu policy.

Pc just wont start in safe mode either.

Tried to restore to previous version, an error comes up saying it was not possible. Tried all three of the available dates.

Tried pressing F8 and starting safe mode from there and still no result.

None of the "repair" options work of course.

I can acsess the BIOS, on the gygabyte screen. Not sure what to chabge in there. Anyways, tried with "fast boot" and same error occurs.

The copy is a digital purchase, so no CD.

Any ideas? Appreciate it

Do you have any dump files under C:\Windows\Minidump ? If so, please copy them from that directory and upload them here. You should be able to copy them via command line if that's all you can access (if you're not sure how to do this, let me know and I can help) - either that, or you can burn a Linux LiveCD (such as Ubuntu or Mint), boot off of it, and use a GUI environment to copy them to an external storage device.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560177(v=vs.85).aspx
Try Last Known Good Config boot option.

When you ran SFC, did it find anything? Usually it will only repair stuff if you have a disc in the drive for it to reference.

Have you tried running a disk check? At the command prompt:
chkdsk c: /f /r

Seen somewhere that disabling Driver Signature Verification could also help: How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)

Failing those suggestions: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/156669?wa=wsignin1.0

As for not having a CD... Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

Do you have any dump files under C:\Windows\Minidump ? If so, please copy them from that directory and upload them here. You should be able to copy them via command line if that's all you can access (if you're not sure how to do this, let me know and I can help) - either that, or you can burn a Linux LiveCD (such as Ubuntu or Mint), boot off of it, and use a GUI environment to copy them to an external storage device.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560177(v=vs.85).aspx
Try Last Known Good Config boot option.

When you ran SFC, did it find anything? Usually it will only repair stuff if you have a disc in the drive for it to reference.

Have you tried running a disk check? At the command prompt:
chkdsk c: /f /r

Seen somewhere that disabling Driver Signature Verification could also help: How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)

Failing those suggestions: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/156669?wa=wsignin1.0

As for not having a CD... Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

Please guide me thorugh the steps to check and upload dump files.

Im afraid last known good config is not enabled in windows 8.1. Seems I gotta get into registry to enable as the old windows, but there is no way, as I cant even boot my pc properly.

In simpler terms, in the boot menu there is no last known good config option.

Sfc command did repair and said changes will take effect when system restars. Yet same error when booting.

Disk check found no errors.

Booted with drivers signature enforcement disabled and no luck.

Thanks for providing me with links, sadly the last one about "failing those suggestions" includes most of what you have recomended and the rest is for windows xp or 2003. Will try the ones that I can though.

Any more ideas? :(

Edit: I insertes windows xp professional cd. When I go into advance options>recover image of the system>recreate image of system>advanced it says "insert the medium of instalation and click accept" when I do the normal explorer window opens and I have to choose a folder or file, not sure what to do...
Edit 2: When booting with CD (windows xp prefessional) windows says it has shutdown itself to avoid damage.
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Last edited:
Why are you booting with an XP CD if you have Win8 installed?

With a flash drive or some other external device plugged in already:
To check for dump files from command line (each line is a separate command):
Code:
cd C:\Windows\Minidump
dir

If after the dir command, there's files then you have minidump files that you can upload. Then do a copy of the Minidump folder to your device.

Code:
copy C:\Windows\Minidump <external storage drive letter>

Why are you booting with an XP CD if you have Win8 installed?

With a flash drive or some other external device plugged in already:
To check for dump files from command line (each line is a separate command):
Code:
cd C:\Windows\Minidump
dir

If after the dir command, there's files then you have minidump files that you can upload. Then do a copy of the Minidump folder to your device.

Code:
copy C:\Windows\Minidump <external storage drive letter>

First command: system cannont find specified path.

dir command does show a list of files.

COPY command cant find specified path neither. Im not sure Im typing this one correctly. Inserted an USB, which I cheked on another pc to be E: Yet on my pc it was always G: so not sure what to name it. Anyways tries with both. Is this the correct form? (G) ? Or <g:> ? And there are more posibilities.

If the first command isn't finding a directory, then it most likely isn't there and no dump files are generated, making the rest of the commands moot.

May want to try a repair install of Win8:
Repair Install Windows 8

You can get the ISO in my previous post from Microsoft, and you can create a bootable USB (instead of burning to a disc) with this:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

I found my Windows 8 cd. Updated to 8.1 virtually but I found the windows 8 cd. Booted with CD, clicked repair instead of install and it just takes me back to the same options menu where I can restore system to previoua sate, recover image, go to CMD, configure booting or run repair. Tried all of them, nothing seems to be working...

Back
Top Bottom