End of life for XP

Windows 7 is far more stable IMO. You have the ability to run legacy applications as well.

The product will still work, you just can't call microsoft complaining about bugs or things that aren't working.

Windows 7 is far more stable IMO. You have the ability to run legacy applications as well.

The product will still work, you just can't call microsoft complaining about bugs or things that aren't working.

And it'll be comparable to swiss cheese the amount of security holes that are left unpached.

But yes, Win7 is way more stable. Only reason to stay on XP is if you're a business that uses legacy applications that have to be run on XP and/or on physical hardware to work properly.

Only reason to stay on XP is if you're a business that uses legacy applications that have to be run on XP and/or on physical hardware to work properly.

True.
I know of someone with a POS that runs with XP and will continue to do so because there is no internet so the POS does not have on line access. The credit card reader does use a dial up modem but that's all

To be fair Windows 7 is pretty much as stable as XP. Using XP is a bit painful now in comparison to newer OS's. What doesn't make sense about Microsoft is how they seem to be unable to move smoothly from one OS to the next. (XP-good, Vista-bad, 7-good, 8-bad). moving to Mac OS has really opened my eyes to how poor Windows is.

I still don't get why people would even be on Windows XP?
I have been to places where they are still just starting to roll out Windows 7.
Maybe people will wait until Windows 9 comes out.
I use Win 7 and it is really stable for me.

What doesn't make sense about Microsoft is how they seem to be unable to move smoothly from one OS to the next. (XP-good, Vista-bad, 7-good, 8-bad).

Yeah, they just can't seem to break the cycle. Well, I guess the bad OSes could be seen as public beta tests that people are paying for- the next OS is better but only after some hard lessons are learned.

What bugs me about Win 8 is how close they were to getting it right - just keep the UI closer to 7 instead of that godforsaken touchscreen tablet UI and it would have been a winner. No one's going to buy a Surface Pro because the Windows UI sucks for a desktop. Anyway, it seems like they're going to be rushing out Windows 9 with a quickness. Or rather an updated Windows 8 that they will call 9 because of the negative branding.

As for XP going EOL, I would say that it's about time and maybe now people will make their way out of the good old days, but all that's going to happen is that more XP machines will get compromised. Well, at least businesses will upgrade. I hope.

Security isn't an issue really for 90% of the people using these OS's in the sense that these "updates" bring so hard support doesn't mean squat. I used my modified copy of 98se for months on my Voodoo box with no issues being online. The target audience for intrusion have newer OS's anyways. I mean, I haven't updated an OS since I went from SP1a to SP2 on XP. I say buggar all to updates as they are a complete waste of time to me.

It's about time. Like we have had windows 7 out on the market for some time now. Just about most corporate and governments has are on it now.
It's about time XP was laid to rest

What is wrong with Windows 8? I have been on it since it went live. It is everything Win7 is but with tons of improvements when it comes to power savings. Spend 5 dollars and put Start8 Start menu for Windows 8. Bring the Windows 8 Start menu back. on it and it is superior to Win7 in every way.

+1

Both my fiance have been running it fine on our laptops since it came out, and I've only had a few issues (not Win8's fault - just driver or software issues that I was able to resolve).

Back
Top Bottom