Enabling And Disabling Raid - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2006, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Angry Enabling And Disabling Raid

so i downloaded another windows xp copy , but while the setup was on , it said copying files.It came to this file "viamraid.sys" and said could not copy.Press Enter to retry or press ESC to skip.

This is ultimately my end problem. Here is a list of troubleshooting efforts that I have already attempted with no success..

- Swapped the Floppy drive out with another. Niether drives have ever shown signs of trouble.

- Reformatted numerous floppy disks countless times using different types and trying many different drivers.

- Burned the files to a CD and fed the disc in at the error screen. [Yes, they were in the same/proper format as the floppy drives.]

-Skipping the install of the viamraid.sys file and the two others after it. [XP files are copied but when it attempts to restart/install I recieve the blue screen of death.]

-Loaded the defaults for the bios and reconfigured/tweaked them many different ways.
Bfore asking for help here, i did an intensive search on google related to this problem.They said try going in the bios and chaging the settings from raid to non-raid.

Normally whne you have all this raid ********, we need to insert a floppy drive in our hard disk and when windows is setting up we need to press F6 in the beginging so that it can take drivers from the floppy and copy it.But i disable this in the bios section i can skip all these things, and theres 80% chance of bypassing the viamraid.sys.My question is what does raid really do.this is what a guy has said on another forum

idea: go into the bios and there is an option to have the sata as either raid or IDE. change it to IDE and that should fix it and you shouldnt need drivers.

will tht help , and please tell me what does raid do and on disabling it what will happen.I already have windows xp and im trying to install another one as backup.So basically i want a dual install.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If you dont know what raid is then you're not using it, disable it in bios and have another go

Intel core I7 920
6GB OCZ platinum 1600
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 11-17-2006, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

you downloaded another copy?
From where?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

You seemed to have downloaded a copy of XP that someone had slipped raid drivers into
Old 11-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hmm, im usin an asus mother board , how do i get into the bios?
Closed Thread