Email server software

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
Trying to find out if a certain type of software exists......

My company uses our web host to provide email for our domain and all users have Outlook on their machines to retrieve their email.
As more and more of our users are being bombarded with spam, it's almost necessary now for every user to have a local spam filter on their machine since our web host's email program doesn't really offer a good spam filter.

I know there are email server programs out there that allow you to run your own email server on your network, but from what I'm reading, they require you to make DNS changes to route all mail to our local machine running the server software. I'd really like to get by without doing that....seems like there would be a program that would act as a mail middleman (and maybe some of these server programs do and I'm not reading it correctly).
We'd keep our web host as the main mail server (mail.domain.com) and have a program residing on a local machine that I could set up user accounts for all of our email addresses. The program would download all messages from our mail server and hold them until the individual user machines (Outlook) downloaded them from the local server program.
Then there could be a spam filter on that one local server that would filter all of our domain email addresses before the end user download their email to their machine.

This would also allow me to leave certain users set up as they are now...mainly users that need to check their email from home or use a laptop as their main machine and travel. They could keep their Outlook downloading directly from mail.domain.com and get their mail wherever they happen to be. These few users would just have to run a local spam filter on their machine.

Anyone know of a program that would accomplish this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom