Easiest Way To Create Hard Drive Image

Status
Not open for further replies.
so if i have room to store the image file i shouldnt compress it its not worth the risk?

that's my suggestion. in most cases you wouldn't get much space back anyway. plus if you had bad sectors on the drive or something in the future it could easily corrupt your entire backup image where as with no compression, you would only lose the data located on the damaged portion of the disk.

plus hard drives are cheaper now than they ever have been before in terms of cost vs storage size.

Why not use ghost (or what ever other drive cloning tool) to just clone the drive from your old drive to the new drive?

You don't need a bay to mount it. Just connect it and lay it on the anti-static bag for the time being. As long as you're not banging it around or laying it on bare metal you'll be fine.

guess i could do something like that..is cloning better the creating an image..?

Just connect your new drive, boot up your computer with a boot cd like Hiren's, MiniPE or directly a Ghost cd and then clone your entire drive (as Keyboard Cowboy said ), later you can retire your old hard drive...

To clone a drive disk-to-disk using Ghost your talking a matter of a few hours but it all depends on the bus speed of your motherboard, amount of RAM installed and whether you're using the latest version of Ghost for example.

I would estimate around 3 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom