DX10 video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

DX10 is not a requirement for Vista, and neither is a separate video card. You could do just fine with Vista with an onboard video card (90% of the computers sold today have onboard video and come with Vista preinstalled and work fine).

Here are the video requirements from Microsofts website:
Vista Home basic
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
512 MB of system memory
20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory
DVD-ROM drive
Audio Output
Internet access (fees may apply)

Vista Home Premium / Business / Ultimate
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 GB of system memory
40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
WDDM Driver
128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
32 bits per pixel
DVD-ROM drive
Audio Output
Internet access (fees may apply)

So if I purchased a computer built from someone my school got the from in 2006 I should be able to run vista on it without any issues with my video card. My mobo is a Intel D945GTP. Can someone who knows how to check these things verify this for me.

thanks

Google it. Just google the specs on that name for your system and it should tell you everything you would need to know.

Year means nothing, there are computers build in 2004 that will run Vista fine. I have a P4 laptop i got in 2004 that runs Vista fine. Not because it was made then, but because of the specs.

Do your homework, lookup the specs and if they match or are better than what is outlined by Microsoft you'll be fine.

Let me clarify one thing. While the board may work with Vista and no give you any issues, if you are using onboard that does not mean you will be able to use the Aero interface. Your onbaord might not be compatible with running it. So while you can run Vista you might not be able to use the Eye Candy.

So would you guys agree going forward with vista or windows 7 it would be best to upgrade to a fairly inexpensive DX10 video card?

thanks

Windows 7 is pre-beta and not fully developed. It wont be out for another year.

I love Vista. But i am just saying. If you go ahead with it and the onboard doesnt support the Aero interface you should know thie before.

Vista does DX10 but it just needs a DX9 video card for Aero support. There are lists all over the net that can tell you if the gfx can do Aero or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom