dvds and games wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdna35

In Runtime
I have an HP laptop with windows XP. My drive will work with music CDs but won't with games or DVDs. They start to spin but just stop and when I click the icon it says please insert the correct disk. Under explorer it doesn't even show that I have a D drive. I did the check hardware thing in control panel and it said my disk drive is working fine.

um, nevermind. it works again... weird... anyway, what exactly is java runtime environment? also, my system restore doesn't work... how do i fix that?

The J2SE(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) is intended for software developers and vendors to redistribute with their applications.

Reinstalling System Restore
Click Start, Run and type %Windir%\INF
Locate the SR.INF file. If you have configured Windows Explorer to hide known file extensions, the file may show up as SR. To see the file extensions for all file types, then try this:
On the Tools menu in My Computer, click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box.
Right-click the SR.INF file, and then click Install
Windows will now attempt to reinstall System Restore, and may prompt you for the Windows installation source path. Point to %Windir%\ServicePackFiles folder, or insert your slipstreamed Windows XP (matching the Service Pack level of your system.)
System Restore core files will be reinstalled. Restart Windows when prompted.
Notes

Alternately, you can reinstall System Restore using the following command line:
rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %Windir%\Inf\sr.inf

Warez Monster... your like a genius among geniusi (plural?). Did you like write Windows XP? Also, is it safe to delete J2SE?

Also, sounds like you may have a loose IDE controller, the reason the music would work being the ATAPI connection. Data would have a problem then, it may work now but if that happens again crack the case and reseat the IDE cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom