DVD to Divx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win2kpatcher

Fully Optimized
All right now that I'm mostly all set with the DVD creation stuff I have another question that perhaps one of you will have a simple solution to. How would I make a copy of a DVD in divx format on the hard drive?

From what I have found and researched you have to go threw many steps. I thought perhaps someone here created some neat little suite or knows of some cool all in one programs. I know you first have to decrypt the DVD, but after that I have seen many many differences on what to do next. I found some people would jon the files then make MPEGS out of them then convert to divx? What steps do you take, what tools specifically and how many steps? Also I'm some what familiar with the conversion process meaning converting a .avi, .mpg, .wmv files to Divx but what settings in the Divx Codec settings are you all running for best quality while keeping the file somewhat small (700-800MB) I've downloaded some AWESOME DVD Rips (of course of ones that I owned already- for backup purposes) in divx format that were only like 700MB but cyrtal clear quality and sound

one click apps suck!
Win2kpatcher said:

I found some people would join the files then make MPEGS out of them then convert to divx?
no need to join the vobs.the divx ripping program will pick up all the vobs when you select the first one.
you dont convert to (s)vcd then convert to divx.just convert the vobs,which are mpeg2.

gordian knot is the best program. http://www.doom9.net/
their guide isn't that good,so i'll give you a little step to step.

asuming that it's ntsc non interlaced.
make a project with dvd2avi.
video > forced film
audio > ac3 output

open the project with GK.
in the resolution tab click auto crop
hit save and encode and preview(make sure it looks good at full screen)
click cancel

set the bitrates you want
hit 'save and encode' twice
hit save
the audio tab is where you tell besweet how to encode the audio.
i do the audio separate so i leave it disabled.
in the divx tab i change the bitrate of the first pass to 4000kbps and check 'write mv file'
second pass leave as is

add job...

Win2kpatcher said:
All right now that I'm mostly all set with the DVD creation stuff I have another question that perhaps one of you will have a simple solution to. How would I make a copy of a DVD in divx format on the hard drive?

From what I have found and researched you have to go threw many steps. I thought perhaps someone here created some neat little suite or knows of some cool all in one programs. I know you first have to decrypt the DVD, but after that I have seen many many differences on what to do next. I found some people would jon the files then make MPEGS out of them then convert to divx? What steps do you take, what tools specifically and how many steps? Also I'm some what familiar with the conversion process meaning converting a .avi, .mpg, .wmv files to Divx but what settings in the Divx Codec settings are you all running for best quality while keeping the file somewhat small (700-800MB) I've downloaded some AWESOME DVD Rips (of course of ones that I owned already- for backup purposes) in divx format that were only like 700MB but cyrtal clear quality and sound

backing up dvd media is simple ..
-dl dvd decrypter
-select the content you want
-click the decrypt button
files will be copied to the hd (ex c:\paycheck_us_16x9)

to encode to divx
(you can also encode to xvid.. which i think looks a lot better)
-buy a copy of dr divx
-select the video files
-select the correct audio track
-select compression (shows the file sizes for ea.)
-click the encode button

sweeet deal!! I actually had that GK program but found there instrcutions to be VERY time consuming ;-) I will try it with the new found isnructions and try some of the other items as well. Thanks everyone!!

i agree Dr.Divx is the best choice if you want Divx, but the MPEG4 encoder Xvid is just as good as Divx and is free. you can download Xvid for free and use DVDx2.2 (free) to encode your movies. it takes a long time to encode, maybe 4-6 hours for 1 movie

dr. divx and dvdx sux, use xmpeg also free program very intuitive interface with wizard for lamers and lets you convert to (s)vcd, dvd(mpeg2), and avi(xvid,divx) free great results, and goes at fast fps rate wich for me is only 1 - 2hrs to encode high quallity movies. www.free-codecs.com/download/XMPEG.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom