dvd back up (copy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I was asked by a friend to make a back up copy of a dvd. What is the easiest way to do this? I have been ripping dvd's for some time, but havent copied any. Helps for the help.

ive never done it but wont you just use "copy disk" i did that for a friends computer from a dvd burner so i think thats how you do it. Copy Disk

Havent tried because most movie dvd's are over the 4.5gb size, they are on the dual layer discs, which can be as large as 9gb. So going back to my question, what would be the best way to copy a dvd to a dvdr?

? the answer is to copy disk to a iamge and then burn to dvd is a dvd is dual layer then get a dual layer disk,. if u are talkign about moviess get a dvd movie ripper so u can take out all the unnessary crap u dotn need. go here afterdawn.com

DVD Decrypter

This piece of software is probably the greatest technological achievement United Kingdom has ever given to this world ;-) Anyway, DVD Decrypter is really the only tool we need in our guide, provided that your ASPI settings are OK already.

dvd2dvdr_ddc_2_decrypter_main.gif

Select ISO mode

This step is to change the ripping mode. From Mode menu, go to ISO selection and select Read.

dvd2dvdr_ddc_3_change_mode.gif

This is pretty much what you see after the mode change. This view gives you certain information that is extremely important for us.

dvd2dvdr_ddc_4_main_screen.gif

On the right-hand side you see various information about the DVD-Video itself. The only thing that really matters here is the DVD size. This has to be less than 4,718,592,000 bytes, otherwise the movie wont fit on a blank DVD.

dvd2dvdr_ddc_5_dvd_size.gif

Select the destination

From the destination box, you have to select a filename and directory where to store the ISO image the DVD Decrypter will create for you. This directory has to have at least the same amount of free space as the DVD's size is.

dvd2dvdr_ddc_6_free_hdd_space.gif

Copy the DVD to harddrive

After setting the destination filename, simply click the copy symbol in bottom of the window and DVD Decrypter will start ripping the movie and creating a DVD image file to your HDD.

dvd2dvdr_ddc_7_copy_button.gif

Burn the image to DVD

After the ripping process has finished, you simply go to Mode menu again and select Write under ISO selection.

dvd2dvdr_ddc_8_change_mode.gif

Now you need to select the image file from the harddrive. Click the source filename in DVD Decrypter's window and it pops up a file dialog. Note that if you have other than NTFS filesystem, you might have multiple files on your harddrive now, one of them is with extension .DVD and this is the file you need to select -- if you have NTFS, select the only file you see in the directory you selected and click OK.

dvd2dvdr_ddc_9_select_image.gif

Ready to burn

Now simply check that all the settings are correct. Use test if you want, use burn-proof if your drive supports it, change write mode to DVD, keep data type as Mode 1/2048 and choose write speed according to your drive's specifications. Then, click the copy symbol in bottom of the window and wait while the disc burns.

dvd2dvdr_ddc_a_burn_ready.gif

Finally

Now you should have a DVD-Video backup that can be viewed with most modern stand-alone DVD players -- just remember that not all DVD players play these discs. Compatibility issues can be caused by the burning speed, the DVD player or by the DVD media. Should things go wrong the first thing to do is make sure you have followed our guide literally. Next try the process with some other DVD media -- the quality of the discs really makes a huge difference in DVD-Video use.

he want to shrink large movies, so he need dvd shrink (best for shrinking 6.5 gig or under movie) or instant copy (best for 6.5 or larger) to make a 9 gig movie fit a dvd5 disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom