DVD + or -

Status
Not open for further replies.

zildjianchris

In Runtime
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but couldn't think of any where better. My friend is after dvd/rw, but trying to figure out whether to get + or -, what exactly is that difference.
Thanks
Chris

just get a dual format so you dont have to worry. Most dvd players work with - but some need +. Whichever one you get I promise your player will not like it. The plextor is one of the best dual format dual layer burners. see my sig

Oh damn, sorry about that, I just read what I said. I meant he is after blank dvd's. Not the drive. Any help, thanks.
Chris

- is the most versitle but make sure his burner is - compatable. Also good idea to test if you are going to use with a dvd player to see what type it likes.

Yeah, I know for a fact they're going to be using the dvd's on a dvd player. But yeah, not sure exactly what to do.

+ and - is basically where the data is allocated. Some DVD players WILL NOT READ + or - and you need to get the right one. I know for a fact my Pioneer 104 DVD-RW will only accept - media. It's pretty much a game of experimentation but I find Memorex to be a good company for - media types.

if you get a burner that does bitsetting and then get + media you will have no problems at all.

the bitsetting makes it a dvd-rom type which makes for better compatibilty.

ZeroX said:
if you get a burner that does bitsetting and then get + media you will have no problems at all.

the bitsetting makes it a dvd-rom type which makes for better compatibilty.

so true.

there use to be an argument that - R was more compatible. that was true 3 years ago. not anymore. if you have a dvd player that won't accept a udf 1.02 (dvd-rom, which is backward compatible with dvd video) +r, then it's is old as hell.

some (few) dvd players won't accept udf 1.50 (dvd video) +r's discs, but they are the minority

you can't go wrong buying either disc, but +r is better for computer use like packet writing and mount rainer (udf 2.00 and udf 2.01)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom