dump of physical memory - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2003, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default dump of physical memory

my computer went to a screen giving hex location where a memory dump is occuring and it said it has to do with ALCXWDM.SYS.. it is a memory dump

can anyone please tell me what the deal is, is it my ram?

Old 05-29-2003, 01:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Here are my specs

win 2k
msi kt3 ultra motheboard
ge-force 4 mx 440
100gb Wd hdd
420 watt ps
512 pc2100 ram
amd athlon xp 2000

my computer used to restart a lot before. BUt that turned out to be a minidump error caused my NAV. I fixed that and it worked great for a long time till now. Now i get a actual screen with a message saying, phyical dump and all the other stuff above.
I have onboard sound with a msi 6 channel audio device..any other ideas, thanks a lot for your help!!!

Old 05-29-2003, 02:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Default msi kt3 ultra

This may help...

I have that motherboard and had similar problems. Turns out the driver that msi.tw listed a few months ago was different from the one that is there now for the on-board sound, or maybe the route to searching/clicking to it may have led to different files...or maybe i downloaded the one from the german site... I had real problems getting to their main/english site for a while at the time.

Anyway, I use the Realtek AC97 audio driver. There was another driver that wasn't labeled Realtek, and it worked for the on-board sound but I had crashing problems and getting it to recognize my rear speakers was an issue.

After getting the Realtek AC97 drivers on, I also turned down the hardware accel in sound properties, since it was chirping a bit while loading some games... Regardless, I just updated my drivers from their site and it works, so if you haven't done the driver update dance...this might help.

Oh, and fyi..many flavors-- KT3, KT3 Ultra, KT3 Ultra ARU, and KT3 Ultra2 which may have different drivers for the onboard stuff. Mine is the KT3 Ultra ARU 6380 E
Old 05-29-2003, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

i would agree on the soudcard being the culprit.
Death has a thousand doors, let's see which one our victim chose.

"There's one thing that you learn on this job, is that human beings are capable of anything"

If you chase two rabbits, you lose them both

You say tomato... I say cause of death
For sale/trade
Old 05-29-2003, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, I will try your ideas. Thanks a lot and if you can thank of anything else please post..Thanks again
Closed Thread